Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice protein detox program- scam? page 2

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    No, it's not useless to support the liver. Some people really do need a bit of extra help with their livers. There are amino acids like cysteine and methionine that support Phase II detoxification as well as inositol, choline and hepatoprotective herbs like milk thistle that can boost liver function but you don't need to spend $$ on them.
    A good formula would be something along the lines of this one.

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? If you have positive TPO antibodies, than all that other stuff is really of secondary importance.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I might go a little higher on the milk thistle than that. I believe the recommended dosage is 200mg silymarin (the active component of milk thistle). It's supposed to boost your glutathione levels and help with thyroid hormone conversion.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you suspect something is a scam, it probably is.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    detox (beyond an elimination diet) is pretty much a scam.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    No it's not a scam. Metagenics products are used by naturopaths. You could just do the elimination diet as others suggested.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    ... or waste all of this money...
    I guess this is an issue.

So perhaps the answer might be: "Do you need to decide now?" Can you put it on the back burner, research it further, and make up your mind later?

I'm not going to condemn the programme, but it sounds odd to me. I mean: what is avoiding the "animal protein" about? I could accept that low protein for a short time might work for some conditions—and since animal products are a good source of protein, it's difficult to go low with those. But why the expensive powder? Why not a mix of plant foods that supply all the amino acids, as cultures that can't afford much real protein do?

And why rule out animal fats? Maybe there's a rationale for that, but what is it? Frankly, I regard most vegetable oils as pretty toxic, and I'd take some convincing to eat them. And having said that the fats and oils must be plant-based, why do these people tell you you can't have coconut oil? Is it because they think saturated fat is bad or something? Or only bad for this condition? If so why?

If it's just about elimination of potential allergens then why on earth is the selection quite how it is? Some hospitals used to use what they called a "Stone Age Diet" for that purpose (maybe still do). AFAIK, that was lamb and some vegetables.

Maybe it does work in practice and a month on some regime isn't too long.

Maybe read up a bit first and see what the latest work is suggesting about thyroid conditions—e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-...dp/1600376703/

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudenveri View Post
    Anything, ANYTHING that calls itself a "detox" is a scam. Ask that nurse to explain what toxin, exactly, that powder crap is supposed to neutralize, and how, exactly (and I mean biochemical pathways, here) it's supposed to do it. If she's able to give you a response, whip out an advanced biochem/organic chem textbook and fact-check that shit.

I will bet you every single cent that I own, plus my entire collection of death metal t-shirts, that she won't be able to give you anything resembling sound science.
    I'm not into death metal but otherwise I wholeheartedly agree.

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks again for the input everyone!

The office does sell both of the necessary products (A-Z Products List | Metagenics | UltraClear PLUS® and A-Z Products List | Metagenics | AdvaClear®), which instantly made me suspicious. I'd have to buy both products at least three times throughout the program.

I suspected that the doctors who sell the products might get a percentage for themselves. Upon further research, I found that the MLM giant Amway has substantial ownership of Metagenics (A match made in science at Amway Media Blog). That also sent up some red flags.

Thank you for the product recommendation, hazyjane! Looks good. I might add more milk thistle like DaisyEater suggested. I've been tested twice for antibodies and both times were negative. My numbers are very stable, as well, so I don't think I have Hashi's. NP suspects Wilson's Syndrome but my adrenals are fine and I'm not sure if it's a legitimate diagnosis.

Lewis, I read that book a while ago but I'm sure it's worth a re-read. Thanks! You bring up some great questions. I can't understand the logic behind the food choices for the detox, either; the book that came with the products just says that the diet is hypoallergenic. I'm guessing Metagenics is on the low-fat bandwagon because they emphasize that the powder is low-fat. I certainly don't want to swap grass-fed butter and animal fat with safflower, flaxseed or canola oil like they suggest. The diet isn't geared toward any condition in particular, just general "detox," but the book doesn't explain how the diet or powder accomplishes anything of the sort...

I e-mailed the NP asking her to further explain what exactly this detox is going to accomplish when I've already been on a clean diet for a year, so we'll see what she says.
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 07-01-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I guess this is an issue.

So perhaps the answer might be: "Do you need to decide now?" Can you put it on the back burner, research it further, and make up your mind later?

I'm not going to condemn the programme, but it sounds odd to me. I mean: what is avoiding the "animal protein" about? I could accept that low protein for a short time might work for some conditions—and since animal products are a good source of protein, it's difficult to go low with those. But why the expensive powder? Why not a mix of plant foods that supply all the amino acids, as cultures that can't afford much real protein do?

And why rule out animal fats? Maybe there's a rationale for that, but what is it? Frankly, I regard most vegetable oils as pretty toxic, and I'd take some convincing to eat them. And having said that the fats and oils must be plant-based, why do these people tell you you can't have coconut oil? Is it because they think saturated fat is bad or something? Or only bad for this condition? If so why?

If it's just about elimination of potential allergens then why on earth is the selection quite how it is? Some hospitals used to use what they called a "Stone Age Diet" for that purpose (maybe still do). AFAIK, that was lamb and some vegetables.

Maybe it does work in practice and a month on some regime isn't too long.

Maybe read up a bit first and see what the latest work is suggesting about thyroid conditions—e.g.:

Amazon.com: Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism (9781600376702): Datis Kharrazian: Books
    +1

Cal. is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    I have been eating strictly according to the Primal Blueprint (with some rice and potatoes) for almost a year now.
    What about cutting out the (non Primal) rice and potatoes to see if that helps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast