Thread: Milk for recovery? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Milk for recovery?

Primal Fuel
    (I feel like this thread is a 'tweener, between fitness and nutrition. I'm putting it here.)

Context: my goal right now is to get lean. I'm 6'3", 235, about 21% body fat. I'm fine if they weight number stays the same, I just want to drop that %.

I've been doing Stronglifts for about 6 weeks now. I was doing about 30 minutes of (slow as hell) running on off days, but I haven't bee so consistent with that recently.

Being that my goal is to get lean, today, I did my lifts (still stalling on OH press, dammit), and then I went to the grocery. I passed the milk and my body said, "I WANT THAT!!!"

So I bought a pint of whole milk, and promptly destroyed it before I even got to my car.

Clearly, there was something in the milk my body wanted to recover. That's fine, but is doing that consistently going to be counterproductive to my goal of getting leaner?

I know it was 16 oz of milk one time, and that I probably have the wrong mentality of stressing over every food choice I make, just wondering how that decision is going to affect my body. Ideas?

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be concerned with milk postworkout. Key to getting lean is to not spike your insulin too much during mealtime (lo carb). Postworkout carbs are fine.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned with milk postworkout. Key to getting lean is to not spike your insulin too much during mealtime (lo carb). Postworkout carbs are fine.
    Agreed. I think milk PWO is fairly good recovery nutrition. Not ideal mind you, but it is a lot better than what 99% of people cram in their pie holes after they lift. And I mean after lifting. I wouldn't use it after running, cardio, sprinting, etc. Use it after you have moved some serious weight.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet.

What's more optimal? Protein?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    More optimal would be starch (glucose polymer) from potatoes/sweet potatoes/white rice. Milk sugar (lactose) is made of galactose and glucose. The galactose (like fructose) goes to replenishing liver glycogen as opposed to muscle glycogen, so it is good to a point, but any "extra" will have to be stored as fat (same for excess glucose, but your skeletal muscle as a whole stores more glycogen than your liver). See these for more info:

Dirty vs. Clean Dieting: Roundtable | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Also, it's better to keep fat low if you are eating a lot of carbs post-workout, so lower fat milk might be a better choice. If you're keeping carbs moderate, then it's not such a big deal.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I use dextrose and whey isolate PWO. Which is sort of what yodiewan said, although he is more correct than I am with just the dextrose and whey protein. LOL.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I started eating raw about 10 days ago. Raw milk, eggs and beef. The most interesting thing is that I am not getting fatter. I am eating about 3000 calories and a half gallon of raw milk daily. I also feel great.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Nothing much to add but I don't think you craved the milk for recovery, you were probably just thirsty. I know the founder of Stronglifts also recommends milk for those looking to gain weight though, the famous GOMAD method.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Only thing I would suggest when it comes to milk is getting raw if possible, or at least organic so you're not getting milk from cows treated with rBGH.

Nutritionally, I think it's good stuff, if you buy the good stuff.