Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ordering side of grass-fed beef - should I get charged for offal? page

GrainsRLame is offline Junior Member

ordering side of grass-fed beef - should I get charged for offal?

Shop Now
    So I just got the invoice for a recent order I made at a local farmer and I asked to keep the kidney, liver, and heart and they tacked on another 22 lbs to the hanging weight (at $3.30/lb, so I now owe $72 more than I had planned on). Is that typical? Not to be cheap or anything but to be honest I was kind of expecting to get them for free (or at least charged at a different rate than the main beef) since I figured these would just get tossed otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong about that??

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    That sounds odd to me. We get charged for the hanging weight from the farmer and then a separate bill from the butcher for their time. The farmer doesn't even know if I take the organs or not, I pay for how much it actually weighs. What they seem to be doing to you is charging you for the organs which are included in the hanging weight and then then again! Also, I would find $22 for just the organs quite expensive even from a yuppy butcher shop. I have never asked for kidney and heart, but I always ask for the liver, bones and fat and have never been charged extra. I probably pay the butcher a bit extra for their time to do that (the bill isn't itemized) but the farmer is paid for the hanging weight no matter what I do and don't want from it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    That sounds odd to me. We get charged for the hanging weight from the farmer and then a separate bill from the butcher for their time. The farmer doesn't even know if I take the organs or not, I pay for how much it actually weighs. What they seem to be doing to you is charging you for the organs which are included in the hanging weight and then then again! Also, I would find $22 for just the organs quite expensive even from a yuppy butcher shop. I have never asked for kidney and heart, but I always ask for the liver, bones and fat and have never been charged extra. I probably pay the butcher a bit extra for their time to do that (the bill isn't itemized) but the farmer is paid for the hanging weight no matter what I do and don't want from it.
    I called the butcher and they told me the liver heart and tongue aren't included in the hanging weight on the half-beef carcass, so since I asked for those I have to pay for them (and this is payment to the farmer not the butcher...I'll still owe the butcher for packaging fees). Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't have asked for the organs before I paid my balance to the farmer, and just asked for them when I got to the butcher? I'm confused how it all works I guess. Maybe the farmer asks to get back any offal that the customer doesn't take, so if I decided to take it I have to pay extra for it? I'm also getting 20 pounds of kidney suet and they aren't charging me for that (although they may charge packaging fees, we'll see.)

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Rip off! I get any organ I want included in the hanging weight, even though I know that technically, they're not there when the beast is actually hanging. But I think the farmers transport the slaughtered beef to the butcher, so they just hang on to the offal and dole it out if it's wanted, keep it if it's not. It probably depends on who handles the different stages. I just know that if I take everything possible (including skin & feet from pigs) it's a much better deal.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    They grew the cow, they can ask for as much as they want for it. Just because it's an organ - doesn't mean it's worthless. Since you're buying and eating the part of the cow, shouldn't the guy who grew it, get paid for it?

You don't get charged by most other places, because they consider those parts garbage. We know better than that - as does the farmer you're buying from.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    My farmer did it at a reduced amount for me last time but I ordered extra (hearts liver etc)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I paid for lambs liver and tongue in my last meatshare, happily (and without any choice in the matter).
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if I pay extra, and I figure I'm getting the entire cow at such a good rate I'm not going to complain about it. I know that tongue sells for a good price at the butcher, so does liver, so the packer does get money for it. The next side I've ordered, I'm getting everything but the moo pretty much, right down to the tail, and I expect to still pay for it at the overall rate, which right now is $2.75/lb
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    The next side I've ordered, I'm getting everything but the moo pretty much, right down to the tail, and I expect to still pay for it at the overall rate, which right now is $2.75/lb
    Wow $2.75/lb is a good price. The only place close to me is $3.30/lb for a half beef (hanging weight, pre-butcher fees, etc).

When all is said and done it comes out to a bit over $6/lb of packaged meat. So since the majority is hamburger meat that isn't exactly "cheap", and $6/lb for tongue and liver seems pretty steep as well. But I'm willing to pay for the quality, plus that IS a good price for the steaks/roasts that come along as well. I just think grass-fed newbies (like myself) should not be looking at the $3/lb price quoted by the farmer and think, "wow that is so cheap compared to the store-bought stuff~", because it's really not when you look at what you actually get to put in your freezer. And it's a pretty hefty upfront investment (I'm shelling out ~$1500 for my 400 lb half-beef).

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    My cow man lets me decide how much burger i want. I tell him to get as many roasts and steaks as possible and please and thank you i wil ltake the organs ( he wont let me hav the kidneys as the butcher sells them for dog food)

I got so much liver last time i may actually have liver until the cow runs out. and bones and 5 hearts and tail it was a great cow LOL
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast