Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Confusion...Different "Paleo" diets? page

Brit is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey all,

I'm new to this and still researching different sites. I found one http://www.thepaleodiet.com/aboutus/ and it seems to be led by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. His "version" of the Paleo diet consists of LEAN meats and I think more fruit whereas this stresses lean and non-lean meats.

Sooooo... I'm confused. If you eat more lean mean (less saturated fat) you should eat more fruit vs. the PB you eat more saturated fats and less fruit?

What's goin' on here?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

eh it's totally different ... primal isn't the same as paleo or a version of paleo. There is some overlap but in what I've read anyway it seems like paleo people are pretty scared of fat.

(Someone chime in with more info please)

I prefer primal to paleo, definitely. If I eat too much fruit it makes me hungrier and makes me crave more carbs... and if I don't eat enough fat I don't stay satisfied.

Probably 60-75% of my calories come from fat on any given day. It's awesome.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Tarlach is offline Member

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...leo-and-Primal

PB is based upon paleo. The paleo diet is about eating what paleo man ate (ie. Grok). Mark also includes non-paleo foods in PB and allows cheating.

Cordain was wrong about lean meat. He did not create paleo eating, he just wrote a book about it.

Paleo can also be carnivorous. It's quite likely that middle/lower paleo man was mostly carnivorous and hunted for saturated animal fat.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Osa007 Guest

That 'paleo' diet seems more interested in going back to humans in trees with small brains & bigger intestines...and Tofurky going on trees....good luck!

Last night I was reading about low-carb vegans, out of morbid curiousity...of course the are very low grain/bean, etc. - but, guess the substitute - soy! Yes, that industrial product made for industrial brain-washed humans for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner and for snacks! Horrifying - and the reason she decided to go 'low carb' vegan was she was having health issues. Of course because of her brain-washed worldview she couldn't possibly question her veganism...anyway...it's actually pretty sad.

Tarlach is offline Member

WTH does paleo have to do with tofu, soy and veganism?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Brit Paleo is a more strict version of Primal. It consists on avoiding all post-agricultural (or Neolithic) foods and diary. Primal is much more tolerant with new vegetables and fruits, and sees dairy and alcohol as ok if consumed sensibly. I see Paleo as the ideal, but Primal is already immensely better than the SAD.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Osa007 Guest

Hmm - I must be confused at which 'paleo' was targeted by the question - the one I am famaliar with doesn't like fat or red meat & advocates soy.

Osa007 Guest

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

The Paleo i'm familiar with is an abreviation of Paleoithic, and advocates eating like Paleolithic humans. The one you mention sounds depressing, as in apPaleoing.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

gazb is offline Junior Member

The "lean meat" part of Cordain's Paleo diet was pretty much a mistake based on the idea that animals were leaner back then, and not taking into account the fact that the hunter-gatherers would deliberately seek out the fattiest meat and organs. I believe that Cordain's actually recently admitted this much.

I don't see how soy could be a part of any "paleo" diet, even in the loosest definition. And Mark says to avoid poisonous substances as one of the 10 core Primal concepts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast