Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: drinking alcohol on the primal blueprint? page 3

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm warming up to hard liquor, lately, with Brandy, and Rum being my favorites.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I'm a homebrewer, so I still have beer, but what I noticed is that I don't get a buzz like I used to.

davem is offline Senior Member
    So I decided to test myself with beer tonight... "in my heyday" (like three months ago or so) I could put down 5-6 high grav beers.

Had 5 tonight, averaging 6% and I'm far more effected than I should be, also having some asthma like issues. Lots of potential variables, but it's like being 21 again. (Ok, 19. )

Could it be a simple matter of sensitivity to the grains? Or lack of exposure?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    I am definitely more sensitive to it and it causes me to drink a lot less than I did 2 years ago in college. I never used to drink below 6 and it was a problem. Now I find I appreciate the dark beers a lot more and can feel a nice buzz after a couple. I sometimes drink a glass of wine as well with dinner. I still do sometimes go all out on the weekends if my friends are out but I don't drink as much.

amyb is offline Member
    I know this is an old thread but I find I have a very low tolerance for alcohol since going primal...does anyone else have this problem? I'm 33 and single and do drink for social reasons! I just can not handle alcohol anymore! I have celiac so I can't drink beer unless its GF.

Does anyone have this problem?

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    I think I'm a little more sensitive to the alcohol, but I have far less side effects than before going (mostly) PB. I love craft beer, but half the time it caused me to get severe headaches after drinking multiple, or high gravity, beers. Wine wasn't as bad, I suspect because there is less residual sugar?

Anyway, in the six months since going primal, having a beer or two has not resulted in one of those headaches, and I have felt fine the next morning on the 1 or 2 occasions when I've over indulged.

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hey, does anyone find that alcohol just seems to feel different when you're eating/living primally? i seem to be more sensitive to it, both at the time of consumption, and the next day (i.e. hangovers & headaches). it generally seems less appealing, which i suppose is a good thing in and of itself... but am i alone in feeling this way?

i was never much of a drinker before, by the way...
    Most definitely. After 2 glasses of wine after not drinking for 2 weeks, I'll get pretty tipsy and feel like shit in the morning. The only remedy I've found is to continually drink all week to build the tolerance, then it's not so bad.

Healthy and recommended? Nope. Unless you're in college.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I definitely feel tipsy faster. Two to three drinks and I'm done. I also have a jigger and measure the alcohol. Gluggng can lead to a very bad ending. Since keeping it to tequila or vodka, the morning after has me feeling a little off instead of the hella headache.

Ymmv.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I'm a little more sensitive to alcohol than I used to be before primal. How I'd feel after 9 beers now only takes about 6. Hangovers haven't been an issue, even with cheap swill that I usually drink. Before a party, I make sure to eat a large meal with lots of protein and drink a few glasses of water when I get back home. Works every time!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    when I drink scotch and wine, I have no problems. Beer wreaks havoc with my system now.
    Add cider to the list of acceptable things and that sounds like my experience too.

I tolerate dry stout (eg Guiness) pretty well too, but I don't think it does me too much good either, ultimately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123