Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My son is in very difficult circumstances for eating Primal - suggestions? page

donnal is offline Member

Talking My son is in very difficult circumstances for eating Primal - suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, OK, this one is really hard. Please try not to judge but long story short, my son made a mistake, got arrested with personal possession of drugs, and is currently in prison. He is 23. He is actually doing GREAT, got clean, and feels it saved his life. That is the positive. So, I have been writing to him about the Primal lifestyle and since fitness has become his new passion and practically a new addiction, he is very interested. I sent him a copy of the Primal Blueprint for the workouts and I am pretty positive when he does the self-assessment he is already at the top tier or almost the top tier of everything.

Since becoming incarcerated, he has gained 30 pounds but looks the thinnest I have ever seen him. He is currently 195 at 5'10". He is very lean, and very strong and thin looking. So, he is trying very hard to eat well under extremely challenging circumstances. As you may know, the food in prison is not very nutritious. He is able to complement what they give him with some purchases from the commissary store once a week so that helps.

He sent me his sample daily diet and asked my opinion from a primal viewpoint. It's carb heavy, and almost unavoidable as he is VERY limited. They get no fresh vegetables or fruit to speak of. He says they get an orange about every other week and canned peaches about every other week. I am sure the peaches are in heavy syrup. He gets canned corn, peas, spinach, and string beans or mixed vegetables occasionally. The protein staple is turkey in many different forms, and beans.

He says he wakes up at 5 am, eats Mini Wheats he buys in the commissary, and also takes a multi-vitamin, an amino acid, a c-complex, and fish oil (all of which he buys at the commissary)
    Mid-morning he has black instant coffee
    At 11 AM he eats the meal tray they give him which is usually turkey in some form, beans, maybe a vegetable. He does not eat the slice of white bread or the dessert if there is one (a cookie or such) unless it is the orange or peaches.
    At 4 PM he usually only eats the vegetables served on the dinner tray, which he says is usually beans. (when I say beans they are pinto beans cooked with salt and water and served that way, whole with juice)
    After dinner he does his workout which lasts 3 hours and consists of massive amounts of squats, pushups, lifting chairs or other inmates, planks, etc. They do not have equipment so they use their own selves which works out with the primal workout very well. He can do a handstand pushup against the wall but not free standing yet. He does one legged squats, more than anyone else there, so he is pretty fit at this time.
    Then after the workout, he makes a packet of tuna and mixes it with rice, beans, jalapenos, and onions and he takes fish oil again. These are all items from the commissary and I believe the beans and rice are reconstituted somehow like maybe you add hot water to them to make them.

Well, that is his diet in a nutshell. As you can see, it's not that great with the rice and heavy on beans but under the circumstances I don't think he can improve it a ton. I am going to suggest he try for something besides the mini-wheats for breakfast. It would be really good if he could get a protein source for the morning meal.

Can anyone suggest any other modifications? Like, would it be better to eliminate the rice and double up on the beans at night? I don't think he can afford much more tuna than the one pack.
    What about his supplements he is taking? I don't know much about amino acids. Are those doing some good for him?

I am glad he is trying to improve his health and concentrate on the positive. His plan for when he gets out is to embrace outdoor activities like hiking, camping, rafting, etc. and get his thrills from outdoor adventures. I am hopeful he will be successful in putting this episode behind him and come out the better for it in the long run.

Thanks very much for any input, it's appreciated and I will pass it on to him. Peace ~~

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that. Hope he is not there long.

Dropping the mini-wheats is a no-brainer.

Why double up on the beans? Rice is not ideal, but it may be better than beans.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How much longer will he be in there for?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

donnal is offline Member
    His sentence is for four years and he has been there one as of July. He is projected to be released in April of 2014 on parole, assuming that nothing goes wrong in the interim.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    You'd think that beans have more nutrition than rice - even with the anti's in them.
    For his circumstance, I think just rotating the foods he's eating would be best. Also, try and stay away from the cereals and breads.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If he's working out that much, he's going to need more protein. For all the trouble that beans might cause him, I think they're still a better choice than rice, given what the rest of his diet looks like. Beans at least have some vitamins and minerals in them.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about your son's imprisonment. I hope it does change his life for the better. He's young enough to undo the damage from crappy food.

About all I can suggest is trading.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I saw a show on prison weight lifters and somehow they were able to get a lot of tuna fish brought in as a protein source. They also ate large quantities of peanut butter but I think that was just pilfered out of the kitchen.

donnal is offline Member
    Oh yes, i forgot, he CAN buy peanut butter too. He didn't include it in his "sample" day he sent me, but he has mentioned to me that they have it in the commissary. I am going to suggest he try to buy that as additional protein source. So, MORE PROTEIN is going to be the thing, by the sounds of it.

donnal is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know there is a lot of trading of foods that happens already. I think the problem is, the choices are all kind of crappy. I am flabbergasted that the prison system doesn't give them a FEW fresh vegetables, maybe things that are cheap or in season. Heck, they could have a garden there and make the inmates do the work in it!! Zucchini for everyone!! Before my son started buying multi vitamins, he had really dark circles under his eyes, I think he was really lacking the leafy greens and stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast