Thread: New (4th week) and I have an IF question... silly one maybe! page

donnal is offline Member

New (4th week) and I have an IF question... silly one maybe!

Hi, I actually have two questions for the forum but they are both very distinct so I am going to do 2 separate threads.

Question 1 - When doing a fast, say, getting up in the morning and holding out until about 1-2 for first meal of the day, is coffee, or water, or ANYTHING allowed? I am unclear on that.

I am fine getting up and having my morning coffee then drinking water or mineral water but I think it would be hard to not have even that. Does having liquids ruin the IF?

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Coffee is generally accepted as ok. I do a 16/8 almost every day and I drink coffee while I am fasting. Water is fine also and you should definitely hydrate when thirsty. I have been tossing around the idea of avoiding coffee for a week while I am fasting just to see what would happen and if my results would change but I have not gotten there yet.

Liquids with no calories or low calories will not derail an IF.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Coffee is insignificant. Martin from the leangains approach (16/8) pours milk or cream into his coffee which gives it around 20-30 kcal during the fast.

It doesn't derail anything. As long as it's under or at 50 kcal it's ok.

donnal is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK awesome thanks for the help. Coffee is a life-giving substance for me in the AM's