Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: body weight exercises for legs? page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

body weight exercises for legs?

seems when reading others talk about body weight exercises the main thing i see come up is there is plenty of upper body exercises but they complain the only way to gain real strength in the legs is with weights. it does seem that except for squats/lunges there doesnt seem to be much for gaining real strength in the legs. i believe sprinting might help build muscle at least in theory but im not real sure that running is what most people have in mind for building muscle

does anyone have any ideas for exercises to work the legs other then squats/lunges or sprinting that would help gain muscle mass?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Nethru is offline Member
    You can do different variations of the squat/lunges. Pistol Squat, Flamingo, etc... Quad Press is nice for both legs and upperbody.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Once you can do a single-leg squat, the bodyweight options do get more limited. You could always wear a heavy backpack while you squat, or you could do what gymnasts do and focus on power rather than strength in the legs. By doing single-leg box jumps, etc
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Some ideas:
    - standing in low martial arts stances, e.g. Horse stance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    - jumping
    - pushing or pulling heavy sleds (not body weight, but also not exactly weight training)

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Weighted pistols is where I am now. I also do bridges which are a good workout for the lower body. HIIT sprints will certainly give your legs a workout also. There are lots of options out there, check out Al Kavadlo's website he has lots of options for variations on squats.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    make a sandbag and do the squat/lunge variations.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Weighted jumping shrimp squats, for distance. If you can do those, then you probably don't need anything more, except to maybe pay your $15 day pass to a gym once every month or two and squat something absurd.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Hunt3R is offline Member
    Single leg squats while standing on a bench are great, I like to do single-leg bench getups and pistol squats too. None require weights. Here's some good examples: Leg Workout | Men's Health

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i love al's site, lots of great stuff there

btw guys im a believer in body weight exercises, i just want to be able to give the naysayers something to think about when they say the only way to get leg strength is to do dead lifts with weights
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A wall sit is a great bw excersise for front of the legs.
    For hamstrings climbing ladders, climbing rope or running up and down the hills. Swimming in flippers. Skating.
    Plyometric training, i.e. jumping up on objects.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast