Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why are oats so bad ? page

sevsie is offline Junior Member

Question why are oats so bad ?

Please can people tell me the deal on oats ?

Thanks

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    First off, for celiacs, oats in the united states are permitted to be contaminated with gluten.

For everyone else, these are concentrated carbs with little other nutritional value. Useful for starving people, not so great in a world of abundance.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Because you touch yourself.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Oats make up a part of the daily diet of horses, about 20% of daily intake or smaller, and are regularly fed to cattle as well. Oats are also used in some brands of dog food and chicken feed. Oat seeds are commonly marketed as cat grass to cat enthusiasts, since cats will readily harvest and eat tender young oat, wheat and some other grass sprouts
    Oats, like rye, are usually considered a secondary crop, i.e., derived from a weed of the primary cereal domesticates wheat and barley
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

fra0039 is offline Member
    I was actually very surprised when I learnt that the PB says to avoid oats. In fact in every single nutrition or fitness book I have read (non-processed) oatmeal is classified as one of the very best foods to eat, due to motivations like a good balance of macronutrients and low glycemic index. So, even if I do not really like it, I have been eating loads and loads of it for years and never noticed ill effects out of that. And, if I recall it right, Mark mentioned in one of his articles that quinoa is not that bad (and quinoa should be pretty similar to oats). But I am now pretty confused myself and not sure if I should continue eating it or not...

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    I was actually very surprised when I learnt that the PB says to avoid oats. In fact in every single nutrition or fitness book I have read (non-processed) oatmeal is classified as one of the very best foods to eat, due to motivations like a good balance of macronutrients and low glycemic index. So, even if I do not really like it, I have been eating loads and loads of it for years and never noticed ill effects out of that. And, if I recall it right, Mark mentioned in one of his articles that quinoa is not that bad (and quinoa should be pretty similar to oats). But I am now pretty confused myself and not sure if I should continue eating it or not...
    Okay. This. And for once I use that annoying one-word sentence in a negative way.

I see this over and over in the Why Don't We Eat Grains? postings. Oats are low GI! Quinoa misses being a complete protein by only one amino acid!

Erm. Yeah. Phytates, anyone? Overall Carb Load? The whole point (as I have understood it) of ditching most (if not all) grains is the anti-nutrients they contain that muck with the absorption of calcium and other minerals, and (for anyone with an insulin-mucked metabolic system) it's a huge carb load, and even without a high GI spike it causes your body to pump out lots of insulin, exacerbating the problem and getting in the way of both weight loss and metabolic function (neither of which may be a factor in a healthy individual, but a fair number of us don't really fit into the *healthy individual* rankings).

ETA - This rant focused on basic paleo/primal WoE practices and is not meant to comment on (or even address) practices like Carb Refeeds and the like.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 06-30-2011 at 07:50 AM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fra0039 View Post
    ?... In fact in every single nutrition or fitness book I have read (non-processed) oatmeal is classified as one of the very best foods to eat ...
    Thats a good reason to be skeptical!

Don't follow the herd, unless you want to walk in poop.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis says that a bowl of oatmeal is equivalent to a bowl of sugar. It shots your blood glucose level sky high and leads to diabetes.

Details in the link below my message,
    Grizz

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    does anyone know the processing procedure for oats to make them consumable?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oatmeal: Good or bad?

though that's more specifically about oatmeal still ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast