Thread: Raw milk and pregnancy page

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Raw milk and pregnancy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yay or nay?

I'm leaning towards just avoiding it to be on the safe side and drinking low-temp vat pasteurized milk from a local dairy (they say it leaves more of the beneficial stuff in milk as compared to mass milk production pasteurization).

I don't drink a lot of milk because it really doesn't have a place in my normal diet/lifestyle...but, I thought it might be good to drink a little since I'm growing another human being and milk is growth promoting.

Thoughts on milk in general with respect to pregnancy also welcome. I'm currently 5 weeks.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    My clear stance on this is "better safe than sorry". I know that listeriosis from raw milk is extremely rare but IF a pregnant woman gets infected the consequences for her fetus might be very, very bad. Plus, I have learned that in the U. S. (luckily, this seems to be rare in Europe) about 90% of dairy cows (organic or not) are infected with a bovine form of leucemia which might or might not promote leucemia in humans when consumed over a period of time. I feel that those heavily promoting raw milk (Weston Price Organisation, more precisely Sally Fallon) ignore some of the facts. I would consume raw milk if I had a very trusted source and I knew "my cow", even when not pregnant I would be that careful! I think that, as dairy is not important part of your diet, organic yoghurt, cheese and dairy from pasteurized milk are a safe way to satisify your appetite for it and you know that you played it safe!