Thread: A friendly hello from H + page

H +
    H + is offline Junior Member

A friendly hello from H +

Shop Now
    Thought I'd best introduce myself properly as its only the polite thing to do.

I found the primal blueprint through Mark's Primal Energy Bar's when looking for a home made snack bar recipe to help keep me going through the day.

Little did I know it was the food I was eating the rest of the day that made me crave more fuel.

After wandering around the site and the forums for a good while things began to click together.
    The science behind it all and the results people actually achieved long term pushed me on to research even further into the primal lifestyle.

The inner Grok stirred from slumber.

I began experimenting with cutting out grains and sugars, though I wasn't heavy on the sugars before, grains were a big part of my dietary intake.
    I began increasing the amount of vegetables I ate, cutting out bread and grains. Especially oats which I ate quite a lot of.

I found I had more even energy levels, the highs and lows had slowly evened into a happy flow of energy throughout the waking hours.

I've found myself feeling better both outside and in, slowly losing the fat and not getting ill.

I started kettlebell training properly again (just didn't have the energy after a shift at work before) and I'm slowly but certainly making an improvement physically.

Currently doing 2 heavy sets followed by some lighter work after, each workout lasting between 30 and 40 minutes.

Two sets of heavy (20kg kettlebell)
    Push ups (no weight)
    Squats (ass to grass!)
    Rows (x2 kbells)
    Deadlifts (x2 kbells)
    Jerk press
    Cleans

Followed by lighter work (14kg kettlebell)
    Swings
    Snatches
    Cleans

Post workout is 30g of whey with either, whole milk, coconut milk (real stuff) or full fat Greek yoghurt depending on what mood I'm in.

Now I'm not perfect, the CW world we live in is full of temptations and yes I fall off the wagon now and again but I pick myself back up and get back to it.

I eat dairy as I have no problems digesting it but stick to the real versions such as whole milk, real Greek yoghurt and proper cheeses.
    The meats I buy aren't grass fed but I do cook them in either real butter or coconut oil, the meats themselves are usually beef, lamb or chicken.

The mad thing I constantly face is people wondering why I 'apparently' spend unnecessary cooking so much at home. The conversations at lunchtime at work typically go:

That looks good again, smells nice too. Why don't you eat in the work canteen its cheaper.
    Well you've just spent roughly £2.50 on a plate of pretend meat, beans,chips and a bowl of practically just sugar for dessert, and then roughly another £1 on an energy drink. I make my food in bulk to last 3 days and spend less and get to pick what I eat. (I'm more diplomatic than that! )
    I need the energy
    *sigh*

While I do eat pretty well now I do supplement with a good multivitamin/mineral and a high quality fish oil. A recent addition is also the odd probiotic a few times a week. I'll take an extra vitamin D as well in and near winter time as I work night shifts and sun light can sadly be too rare.

Goals for the future would probably be:
    Lose more body fat.
    Gain more functional muscle.
    Convince more people its a lifestyle not a diet
    Maybe experiment with some short/medium distance barefoot (barefoot style footwear) running.

Thank for reading and sharing your own stories.

H +
    Last edited by H +; 06-29-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Formatting

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck on your journey.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    This isn't a wagon that you can fall off of- you are driving. If you take a short detour into Candyland, that's a decision that you make. Relax. The straight and narrow is pretty boring, though the closer you stay to it the faster you'll get where you want to be.
    Welcome!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    This isn't a wagon that you can fall off of- you are driving. If you take a short detour into Candyland, that's a decision that you make. Relax. The straight and narrow is pretty boring, though the closer you stay to it the faster you'll get where you want to be.
    Welcome!
    Love that metaphor.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    IMHO, try to let go of the impulse to convert people. Let them see the results. MORE
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Glad you found the path to health and well-being.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)