Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting New Article on T-Nation page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Interesting New Article on T-Nation

Shop Now
    John Broz and his training method fly in the face of conventional wisdom regarding frequency and overtraining. Check out the great article here:

T NATION | Max Out on Squats Every Day

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    the bulgarian method is en vogue now, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about it. There's something to it, but it ignores the massive amounts of roids the bulgarians used to help them deal with training every day. It's a useful kick in the pants to not coddle oneself, but this could probably only be implemented by elite or advanced athletes.

That said, I had planned on skipping squats today since my back is a little sore. Looks like I'm going to go for it after all!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    the bulgarian method is en vogue now, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about it. There's something to it, but it ignores the massive amounts of roids the bulgarians used to help them deal with training every day. It's a useful kick in the pants to not coddle oneself, but this could probably only be implemented by elite or advanced athletes.

That said, I had planned on skipping squats today since my back is a little sore. Looks like I'm going to go for it after all!
    This, plus communist's systems were built around scouring the entire populations gene pool for genetic freaks, then kidnapping them, forcing them to train incessently while roiding. It's astonishing they didn't do better.

All that being said, the article is still good. I'd say very few people squat enough. I squat every workout, and if I had the time/resources, I'd work out more than my 3/wk. The general mindset is good as well.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Elite athletes have the mechanism to workout every day and recover. I tired it with running and it sucked. Why would you want to feel like crap every day. If you are trying to become an elite oly lifter or any other elite athlete then the juice is worth the squeeze.

I do agree that squatting is a superb exercise and one that I work on all the time. Excellent complete body workout for sho.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Sounds like this is basically the same as saying everyone should run 100 miles per week because that's what the Kenyans do, and it works for them.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkdnvr View Post
    Sounds like this is basically the same as saying everyone should run 100 miles per week because that's what the Kenyans do, and it works for them.
    yeah but they have to run that much or the lions will eat them
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkdnvr View Post
    I would argue that if one is built like a Kenyan runner, that is precisely what one should do if one wants to be a world class marathoner. The point of Broz and the other articles about the bulgarians is that in the US, we worry too much about overtraining athletes. THe Bulgarians could care less about that and they have proven results.

This is aimed at elite Oly lifters and should be limited to them. It is useful to point out to those of us who are average lifters that the aches and pains are normal and you can work through it. I'd suggest, however, that there is a difference between "I'm sore, I think I'll go easy" and "I'm injured." WIth the former, the bulgarian approach might be fine. With the latter, it would be stupid, and knowing the difference is key.

I was sore today and was going to skip my squats. I decided not to (damn Bulgarians). I'm glad I squatted, I actually felt better after than before.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Whether or not 5 hours of training every day is the best way to get good at the snatch is totally and completely irrelevant to my life and training - but it's interesting, thanks for sharing.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    wonder what these guys are like when their career is over?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, the article is about Olympic Lifting but the main reason I posted it was as a reference to "overtraining" which is all too frequently cited by people (especially on this forum). I myself like to train daily when possible and I can see the parallels between this methodology and my own experiences.

Whether we have anyone here who is seriously training for the Oly Lifts I don't know - but everyone should be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast