Thread: To 'No Grain' or not to 'No Grain'... we need some help here! page

Tiggadyrue is offline Member

To 'No Grain' or not to 'No Grain'... we need some help here!

Shop Now
    This is gonna get kinda long but your suggestions and advice are most valuable here.
    My friend Lisa had a Bezoar removed earlier this year and had suffered a great deal from this obstruction. She is interested in cutting her grains and sugars, but doctors advise her to eating in a way that concerns me and makes me think it can only lead to other health related issues. She is for the most part generally healthy but has always believed in the calories in/calories out, whole grains, CW way of thinking. but she is always open to learn. Here is a message she wrote me the other day and we discussed that I should post this and see what you good people have to say on the subject.

She wrote:
    A lot of things went thru my head in regards to our talk on health and eating, you know that stuff always interests me - I kinda saw your look at me when I was saying how I had to eat a lot of refined sugar and white bread after I got out of the hospital because of my intestines - I am forwarding you the diet they made me follow for two months - INCLUDES TONS of sugars/grains and I have been investigating the no grains on the net and I just can't see how you could modify this low res diet to fit into a no grain or more primitive diet- any suggestions - just trying to think real hard about food and eating and extremely confused- I know that if I have any issues with my guts I am suppose to resume this sort of eating - right now I eat grains in the morning for
    breakfast to try to get my digestion going - I am thinking after the 4th of going grain free for a 2 week period - I don't know why I don't have any inflammatory issues, just because I am curious about how my guts would feel - but if I get sick I am suppose to go on this
    dumb diet - so confused

Low-residue diet
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Definition
    Residue includes any food, including fiber — the undigested part of plants — that remains in your intestinal tract, is not digested and contributes to stool. A low-residue diet limits these foods, reducing the size and number of your stools.
    A low-residue diet is closely related to a low-fiber diet. In fact, the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably. Technically, however, they're not the same thing, as a low-residue diet is more restrictive than is a low-fiber diet.
    Purpose
    Your doctor may prescribe a low-residue diet after you've had abdominal surgery or if you're experiencing a flare-up of a digestive problem, such as diverticulitis or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
    Diet details
    A low-residue diet limits the amount of fiber and other undigested material that passes through your large intestine. As a result, a low-residue diet reduces the size and number of your stools, helping to relieve abdominal pain, diarrhea or flare-ups of certain digestive problems, such as diverticulitis.
    Because a low-residue diet can't provide all the nutrients you need to stay healthy, it should be used for only a short time, as determined by your doctor, before transitioning back to a low-fiber or regular diet.
    The following foods can be eaten as part of a low-residue diet:
    • Refined breads, cereals, crackers, chips and pasta with less than 1 gram of fiber per serving (Note: Ideally, look for products with zero grams of dietary fiber per serving.)
    • White rice
    • Vegetable juices without seeds or pulp
    • Fruit juices with no pulp
    • Milk, yogurt, pudding, ice cream, and cream-based soups and sauces (strained)
    • Tender meat, poultry, fish and eggs
    • Oil, margarine, butter and mayonnaise
    • Smooth salad dressings
    • Broth-based soups (strained)
    • Jelly, honey and syrup
    While consuming a low-residue diet, limit dairy products (such as milk, yogurt, pudding, ice cream, and cream-based soups and sauces) to no more than 2 cups a day.
    You should avoid:
    • Whole-grain breads, cereals and pasta
    • Whole vegetables and vegetable sauces
    • Whole fruits, including canned fruits
    • Yogurt, pudding, ice cream or cream-based soups with nuts or pieces of fruits or vegetables
    • Tough or coarse meats with gristle and luncheon meats or cheese with seeds
    • Peanut butter
    • Salad dressings with seeds or pieces of fruits or vegetables
    • Seeds and nuts
    • Coconut
    • Marmalade
    If you're eating a low-residue diet, a typical one-day menu might look like this.
    Breakfast:
    One-half cup cereal (with 1 gram or less of fiber per serving) with milk
    Six to 8 ounces fruit juice without pulp
    Snack:
    Two slices low-fiber, refined white bread with seedless jelly or honey
    Six to 8 ounces vegetable juice
    Lunch:
    Six to 8 ounces fruit juice without pulp, or water
    Three ounces broiled fish
    One-half cup white rice
    Snack:
    One cup yogurt
    Six to 8 ounces fruit or vegetable juice
    Dinner:
    Six to 8 ounces fruit juice, vegetable juice or water
    One cup broth-based soup (strained)
    Three ounces broiled chicken
    One-half to 1 cup low-fiber pasta with butter or flavored oil
    Results
    Eating a low-residue diet can help:
    • Relieve symptoms — such as abdominal pain and diarrhea — that result from certain digestive problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
    • Ease your digestive system after surgery by reducing the number and size of your stools

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    a CW doctor is going to prescribe a CW diet. its all they know

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    It couldn't hurt her to do a trial of getting off the wheat. Keep eating white rice if she wants, but get off the wheat.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    a CW doctor is going to prescribe a CW diet. its all they know
    +1

Obviously as this is a Primal Blueprint forum, many here believe that this is a better way of eating, and I'd always advise anyone to read the book but I believe that every person knows their own body better than anyone else does - so its really down to your friend to decide what she wants to do.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    They don't exclude meat, or non-cheese dairy. You can get plenty of vitamins from eating just meat/eggs, dairy and certain oils like olive or coconut. If you do it right, that is. Eat offal (I have yet to successfully take that step, though) like liver and kidneys, and make it grass fed. Slow cooked would be better as well.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I would agree that ditching the grains would be the best thing for her. I suffer(ed) from diverticular disease and had to do one bout of the low residue diet after a flare-up and it was ghastly. Since January I've been trying to eat Primal (not always succeeding, but getting better at it), and have found that as long as I don't eat too many greens in one sitting, my symptoms have disappeared. I used to have weekly problems, but now the only time I've been even slightly uncomfortable has been when I've been out and just eaten what was put in front of me to save argument/discussion!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    By the way, look for DFH on this board. He's had major bowel issues; I think me might have some useful thoughts about this.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    By the way, look for DFH on this board. He's had major bowel issues; I think me might have some useful thoughts about this.
    Who, me?

Yeah, been through all this.

I did that type of diet in March and April after a surgery. Forget what docs say to do. They screw up all the time. They even recommend Gatorade to mix with bowel prep before a procedure. It's loaded with sugar and the dyes are irritating. I gave them a hard time over that one. The post surgery meals are half sugar.

You just have to push back. The dr's don't think it through and hardly anyone wants to push back because hey, it surgery, don't question it.

Back to the topic, most bowel issues involve some kind of irritation. Grains, sugar, and milk need to be first to go. But, in this case, I'm not so sure about a simple blockage. I don't know if you can blame that on irritation due to diet, even though thats no excuse to keep doing grains, sugar or milk. So, if the question is will the problem come back if your friend keeps doing grains, hard to say. We don't know enough about what really happened. Should your friend believe what the Mayo Clinic says, hell no.

When I was doing that type of diet earlier this year, I did a lot of fish, imported cheese, creamy tomato soup, peanut butter, and eggs. It's was boring. I added whey protein isolate too, but that spiked my trigs.