Thread: New to all this...advice? page

ludo is offline Junior Member

New to all this...advice?

Primal Fuel
    Hello.

I am starting the Primal lifestyle as part of a wellness program my work is doing. I am really excited about it but I have a few questions.

I understand the basic ideas (and am working on the literature!). I get it. No grains, no corn (since its a grain anyway...), pro meat and veggies, fats not bad, etc.

But I am finding conflicting information on fruit. Our wellness adviser assures us fruit is good. Mostly berries but she is encouraging us to eat fruit. But, I have read several places here that this is discouraged because of the amount of sugar in fruit. So...is there any final verdict?

Next, milk. I have seen no milk, I have seen no milk except full fat milk. If it is a full fat only milk situation, I will just eschew milk. Not because I think it is "bad" for you but because I cannot stand whole milk.
    Starting Stats: Current Stats: Goal Stats:
    Weight: 283lbs Weight: 271lbs Weight: 145lbs

We started as a work project, let's see what we become.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ludo View Post
    But I am finding conflicting information on fruit.

Next, milk. I have seen no milk,

Honestly I think it is a 'what works for you' situation. I eat some fruit and use half and half in my coffee. I lose weight. Some here swear by fruit, others avoid it like the plague. The same goes for dairy. For some it is fine for others is stalls weight loss. For some it triggers inflammation, for others not so much.

From what I recall from the book berries are not a no go. Dairy isn't either. If i recall correctly they are in the 'in moderation' category. What in moderation means to you is, well, up to you.

But yeah, on the dairy, the more fat the better. So if you do not like whole milk, cream etc I'd skip it, but again that is just my opinion not gospel.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    If you have no health issues (i.e., diabetes) or have any weight to loss, then eating fruits (especially during this time) is fine. Just don't over do it, and stick to those fruits which have less sugar/carbs, but filled with anti-oxidants/nutrients (such as berries). Avocados, by the way, are fruits and have lots of fat in them. Eat up!

You can eat the high sugary ones (bananas, mangos, pineapples, etc) in moderation.

Dairy is permissible in the PB, but if you have any issues with dairy, avoid it. The only dairy I use is Heavy Cream in my coffee, and the occasional cheese in my cheese burgers (no buns, but portabello mushrooms).

But like others will say here, whether or not one include fruits, starchy tubers/root vegetables, and dairy depends on how the individual feel about them. I have no weight issues (never have, even with my former high fat/high carb diet) nor any health issues, so I do include fruits/starchy tubers/root vegetables with no ill effect (never going over 150 grams of carbs though). To each it's own.
    Last edited by Zed; 06-29-2011 at 10:30 PM.

ludo is offline Junior Member
    This is good to know. I have some significant weight to lose, but (luckily?) zero health problems (yet....)

I have long loved a handful of berries as part of my breakfast. And apples have always been a nice snack. If dairy MUST be full fat, I will leave it behind with only a little regret. Full fat dairy does not agree with my palate.
    Starting Stats: Current Stats: Goal Stats:
    Weight: 283lbs Weight: 271lbs Weight: 145lbs

We started as a work project, let's see what we become.

fra0039 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ludo View Post
    This is good to know. I have some significant weight to lose, but (luckily?) zero health problems (yet....)

I have long loved a handful of berries as part of my breakfast. And apples have always been a nice snack. If dairy MUST be full fat, I will leave it behind with only a little regret. Full fat dairy does not agree with my palate.
    Well, I have been eating since years loads of fat-free dairy products (especially milk, yogurt and quark cheese) and never thought this was bad for me or my body composition. But, as somebody mentioned, this is a very discussed topic. The PB approach is just full-fat dairy products (I am not sure if I understand why but I guess because the carb % will be lower?) but there are authors that say the opposite (eat only fat-free dairy products because processing messes up with the fat composition and also chemicals will be stored in the fat). I guess that the PB approach would be more correctly described as non-processed (raw) high-fat dairy products.
    But again, as somebody said, what works for you may be different from what works for others (and I have also being eating more than 300grams of non-processed carbs with no ill effect...)

Laguna is offline Member
    You'll notice this place isn't called "Mark's Daily Pork Chop" Fruit is good for you in moderation, but it can make it difficult to lose weight if you have a dependency on it.
    6f4i, 40 years old, 85" wingspan, "big build"

Feb 28 2011: 326 lbs (start date)
    Mar 28 2011: 299 lbs
    Apr 30 2011: 285 lbs
    May 31 2011: 274 lbs
    Jun 30 2011: 262 lbs
    Jul 31 2011: 252 lbs
    Sep 30 2011: 241 lbs
    Nov 30 2011: 238 lbs

Goal: 220 lbs