Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - girlarchitect page

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - girlarchitect

Primal Fuel
    Some background:

I'm a 44 yr old single female and like many of us stuck at desk jobs, I've slowly been gaining weight over the last seven (!!) years. I've been hovering at 170 for about three years now. In my mind, this weight has been a small, short term thing that I am just about to get over, but when I realized I have been at this weight with my health declining, for years I decided it was time to do something about it.
    I know I need to lose weight (more specifically body fat), about 30 pounds worth, but my goal is 2 pounds a week.

My diet has been over the years fairly good from a conventional stand point - lots of fruits and vegetables, lots of whole grain (30+ grams of fiber a day), light on meat, very little processed foods (except for potato chips which are a downfall of mine) - and I get plenty of regular exercise from walking and biking. I don't have a strong sweet tooth - no soda, no ice cream, few deserts - so that's never been a downfall for me.

But that approach was, of course, not working. So, I decided to start a primal diet one week ago. Today, I thought I should start a journal to see if a commitment the latter would help keep me on the former. We shall see if it helps.

Thoughts on my first week:

At first, I just felt hungry and heavy. In one week, I've come to recognize the hunger was more mental than physical. The heaviness was, I think, from increasing the amount of red meat in my diet which has typically been about 1lb a month. I've adjusted by replacing some of the red meat with more fish and shellfish - easy as I live only 2 blocks from the local fish market - and the heavy feeling is gone. I figure I'll probably want more fish now and more red meat in the winter - we'll see what happens!

The lack of whole grains is a BIG change for my system - definitely the biggest change. The first three days I had no BM - which was a bit uncomfortable, but perhaps not an unusual first week. In response, I've added a huge volume of raw veggies at lunch to make up for the loss in fiber from carbs - which has helped get things 'flowing' again. I do have mad cravings for a good piece of french bread - and I did have two pieces while at dinner with friends. This will be the big painful adjustment.

Giving up alcohol is going to be, honestly, a struggle - and and adjustment I'm not certain I want to take on right now. I have a lot of dinners and cocktail events as a part of my professional and personal life and it is honestly difficult for me to make it though without a drink. (I love wine and scotch - and I hate to say no). So, yes, I have had several glasses of wine over the past week. Part of me want to be able to dry out completely for one full month - another part knows this isn't time best time to do so. Typically I give up alcohol over Lent and I'll do that again. Is it okay to stage the 30-day challenge?

My lifestyle has Mark's Moving Slowly activities built in already - cycling or walking to work and run errands and fun. I am getting up earlier for a morning walk, which is something I used to do when I was younger, and is a great kickoff for the day emotionally and probably definitely cuts down on the 'need' for that first cup of joe. I am finding myself thinking about moving even more - do I have time for a quick swim before dinner? why not bike instead of metro? why not walk up the stairs instead of using the elevator? - reinforcing what I already believe in to find more opportunities to be active in my day.

In addition, I'm really enjoying the Five Essential Movements. Mark's laid out a great program for individuals at all levels to get into the movements and build to the next level. Already, I can feel the difference in the ease in which I move in my daily activities.

So where am I today?
    I woke up this morning so much lighter - physically, my body felt tighter and firmer than it has it years. And the mirror reflected the change. So far, the scale has dropped five pounds. I'm guessing the loss is water and fluids - is it reasonable to expect some of the swelling to go down so quickly? I don't know, but it feels fantastic. That alone is a motivator.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You do not have to give up alcohol, unless it is part of the 30 day challenge, which I have never done, know nothing about and don't want to.

It sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Just remember though, since you're trying to lose weight, that your body will process the sugars from alcohol first, so if you stall in your weight loss the booze will probably need to be reduced to an occasional glass of red wine.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Belinda,
    I completely agree - alcohol needs to be occasional. I'm definitely cutting back - no wine in the house - and will adjust the social drinking as needed. And it's not just the sugars its the weakening of one's resolve after a drink or two!!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    My resolve weakens when I eat ice cream. So those are few and far between now
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    You do not have to give up alcohol, unless it is part of the 30 day challenge, which I have never done, know nothing about and don't want to.

It sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Sorry, that was a weak response I made. I think the 30 day challenge approach is probably great for people whose cupboard and refrigerator are full of junk. You were already doing a great job! And, as usual, I agree with Belinda about the alcohol. Sounds like you are ready to grok on.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

On Walking Barefoot

My childhood was spent in northern Wisconsin - where my brother, our friends and I ran around the fields, woods and nearby river like little wild Indians - barefoot whenever possible. By mid summer the soles of our feet were tough as shoe leather and we ran across the gravel driveways and waded daily in the river hunting snails, turtles and adventure. What I'm trying to say is that I have always been a bit of a barefoot girl and am still to this day taking my shoes off as soon as I can. But let's be honest, city life and growing up changes our relationship to shoes (and summers).
    Getting into this website has inspired me and I'm starting to take off my shoes for parts of my morning walks. Just where it is safe and there is a lot of potentially not safe in a city but surprisingly there is plenty of perfectly safe too. Your standard brushed finish concrete sidewalk is amazingly smooth underfoot and even better is the warm smooth texture of brick pavers. The feel of my feet on the earth (concrete and brick and grass) returns me back to my childhood. It's easy to carry my lightweight merrell arabesques while I stroll along the riverwalk - safely in hand to easily slip on when I pass the construction site and later the fish market.

Wrapping up Week Two

Wrapping up week two - things are going almost too smoothly. No intense cravings during the day - although my dreams do seem to regularly include indulging in breads (such as eating about 10 croissants in one sitting) which is humorous more than difficult. I'm energetic, focused and feeling pretty darn fantastic.
    Friday night was interesting. I typically meet up with friends in the evening for a couple glasses of wine and post week shop talk and typically skip dinner. Well, after two hours in the pool (with my new pool play partner, Rebecca, aged 3.75 years - she keeps me moving), skipping dinner was a terrible idea ... and my body let me know after my first glass of wine. It was similar to a hypoglycemic crash (maybe it was) .. but fortunately we meet at a local restaurant so I was able to get a huge salad with grilled shrimp. First bite in and I started to settle down. Yikes - need to remember to eat and make certain to plan for it.
    Last edited by girlarchitect; 07-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Thursday, July 14th - Mashed Cauliflower

So the biggest adjustment for me is giving up breads and potatoes. I simply miss potatoes and a great piece of french bread. I dream every night about bread. It's crazy. I knew I needed to find a solution before I went crazy and headed for the nearest bakery.

It started with making a variation of Shepard's Pie, made with bison. What would you call a shepard pie made with bison instead of lamb ... indian pie? ... probably not .... great plains pie? hmmmm. Anyway ... I know the pie is hardly summer food but I am a bit of an Irish Pub kind of a girl and find it to be a perfect simple comfort food. It was quite simply delicious. I found that 1 lb of meat and 1 heat of cauliflower made enough for four huge meals. This was perfect as I was under a huge deadline last week and needed to have several easy to heat meals and these definitely fit the bill. Once made and tucked into individual gratin dishes, I was able to pull one out and heat in my toaster oven(one of my favorite kitchen appliances) in 20 minutes. yum. I'll definitely be adding this regularly to my menu.

But what really blew me away was how delicious the mashed cauliflower was. I've fallen in LOVE with mashed cauliflower. It's a perfectly filling solution that, I think, tastes great and meets that little craving of mine. Now, I already liked cauliflower - it's a good veggie so that isn't a revelation to me. But this is amazingly good and I can't believe anyone is eating mashed potatoes instead when you get so many more vitamins from cauliflower (what a way to hide those vegetables). I love that I can make it with frozen cauliflower so I can buy several bags for those crazy weeks when I don't have time to run to the store. And I love that easy to reheat - extra perfect for busy weeks

So, now that I'm a convert I made another batch tonight. I've decided it might be a good idea to have a batch ready to heat for those serious starch craving moments and to easily add to whatever I'm thinking of eating. And then, for dinner, I made this wonderful green curry which was delicious. I really didn't want to lose out on all that delicious broth, so I poured the curry right over a serving of the mash and it was pretty darn good. Tomorrow, I need to run out for a head of cauliflower to try out cauliflower rice with the curry leftovers.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

nidayedea is offline Junior Member
    More like took full advantage of their situation we the daughter being disabled and the mother not be tech savvy.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast