Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diploid's Journal page

diploid is offline Member

Diploid's Journal

I'm 36, male 6'1" and 242 lbs living in Southampton in on the UK's South Coast.

I'm unsure of what my stats are but I suspect I'm pre-diabetic. I am a sugar addict and have had a decade with a craptastic diet with little fresh veg or fruit, plenty of cake and cookies, chips and chocolate bars.

I have an interest in cycling and read this guy's story 39 Stone Cyclist (check out the before and after photos), so, feeling inspired I've decided to get off my arse and commit to completing an event.

So, I started looking at nutrition and finally, as many have before me, ended up here via the Taubes video and the Paleo book (Corden?) and finally the Primal Lifestyle. I have just taken delivery of the Quick and Easy Meals . I can recommend the kale and hazlenut salad and the pork with date vinaigrette.

Diet has been going ok, walking 40 minutes each evening hunting and gathering in the supermarket and I got on the bike for eight miles in 40 minutes last night. Will be doing simplefit bodyweight exercises as well.

I have a before photo so I can stick that on the success thread in 4 months time at my first planned checkpoint.

I don't have a target weight but I do have a target of 9% body fat so up and at 'em.

Monday of Week 2. Happy 4th of July to our American cousins, .

So, lost 5lbs last week and didn't really do anything for it. I based my diet around the quick meals guide plus had enourmous bowls of fruits, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries with yoghurt or cream and a handfull of nuts, pecan, walnut and hazlenuts.

Had a real craving for almonds and feta cheese last night which I ate in huge quantities but not in the same quantities as the sugary snacks I used to eat so I'm not feeling guilty.

Walked 40 minutes each day plus did two rides on the bike - one of 8 miles and one of 10 miles.

Feeling a little fatigue occassionally if sudden exertion required but I'm now out of bed at 6am rather than 7.45 am.

This week, I'm going to start weights whilst continuing the walking and cycling.

I have been investigating doing a bodpod but I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile. I know I'm a fat bast'rd who needs to shed 70 lbs, so I might wait that one out for now although it would be interesting to know.

Monday of Week 3 - lost 4 lbs last week, down to 234 again mostly water weight because I really didn't do very much.

Diet was generally pretty good, I seem to do ok with fruit and cream to satisfy my sweet tooth. Had one little hiccup yesterda, after two weeks without sugar, I ate a cup cake and found it to be intensely sweet, almost unbearably so but still finished it.

Read David Gillespie's Sweet Poison some interesting points very scary implications and I'm going to get a copy of Yudkin even though it's about 80 gbp.

Introduced weights yesterday and now have the first signs of delayed onset muscle pain which I'm going to enjoy in a perverse kind of way. It means I'm on the road at last.

Still not running as that kills the tendons in the back of my ankles but interesting to note the ankle swelling that I've suffered from for the past couple of years is reducing after only two weeks.

More of the same this week, only a little more in duration and a little more intense. Step it up.

Grokavore is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you're doing pretty well! Looking forward to some before/after pictures.

Summer is a great time to start this with all the fresh fruit in season.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokavore View Post
    Sounds like you're doing pretty well! Looking forward to some before/after pictures.

Summer is a great time to start this with all the fresh fruit in season.
    Yeah, not doing too bad. I'm going to try to cut back on the fruit consumption but I think I'll wait until the weight loss stalls before I do that.

I used fitday for the first time and thought I'd had a pretty good day but holy heck! Whilst I'm massively over all of the RDA in everything except Vit A at 97 % the kicker was the nuts added to salads and a bowl of fruit which added 1715 calories for a total of 4100 calories. 200g carbs of which 65 came from the nuts and the rest mainly from the fruit.

I'm going to have to tighten up massively but at least I have a tool with which to monitor my progress.

Think that I massively overestimated how much I was eating yesterday based on measuring portions for breakfast this morning.

Blueberries (1 cup), raspberries (1/2 cup), nuts (1/2 cup )and some cream plus an espresso was as much as I could actually physically eat.

I am concerned about the amount of calories and carbs in my diet and need to reduce them. However, on the basis of my shocking diet of the last decade I'm going to consider this a baby step.
    I have cut out all of the other sugar, grains and reduced my dairy and I have started to be active but not to the extent that I would like.

I think my August challenge will be to clear all of the RDA values whilst minimizing calorie intake and maintaining macro ratios.
    Last edited by diploid; 07-15-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diploid View Post
    Think that I massively overestimated how much I was eating yesterday based on measuring portions for breakfast this morning.

Blueberries (1 cup), raspberries (1/2 cup), nuts (1/2 cup )and some cream plus an espresso was as much as I could actually physically eat.

I am concerned about the amount of calories and carbs in my diet and need to reduce them. However, on the basis of my shocking diet of the last decade I'm going to consider this a baby step.
    I have cut out all of the other sugar, grains and reduced my dairy and I have started to be active but not to the extent that I would like.

I think my August challenge will be to clear all of the RDA values whilst minimizing calorie intake and maintaining macro ratios.
    Hi. Welcome. Yes, I was worried when you said you ate massive bowls of fruit and nuts. But this seems like a reasonable amount. Looking forward to your success story.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

@hedonist - I guess that actually starting to measure what I'm shovelling into my mouth will make me more aware. I feel like a stoker in the boiler room of the Titanic sometimes (actually that's probably a poor analogy - look how that ended?!)

Monday of Week 4. 233lbs, so lost a pound. Not surprised, the weather was atrocious with a big low pressure dumping rain like it was November keeping me off my bike - If the question was am I ridin' or am I hidin', well I was definately hidin'. Just a big wuss and didn't lift anything heavy which is another issue that's going to have to be addressed.

What should have been a 'cheat meal' of chicken curry and rice on Friday turned into a cheat weekend with lots of rice and curry due to the amount I made and a bottle of beer with some cheese last night. It's the quantity that was the issue because apart from that there were no chocolate, cake cookies bread or owt else.

So, this week's targets are: 7 days 100 % primal diet, weights on 3 days, 15 miles on the bike on 3 days. Fruit to be limited to 1 cup total per day and nuts to 50g to be served only as an ingredient in a recipe rather than as a substitute for chocolate, cake, cookies etc.

Having beaten myself up, the positive factor is that my target of 10lbs of weight loss for the month has been achieved with a week to go even if the first couple of weeks were mainly water. Need to step up to the plate to make sure I remain on course. 6 months of this will have a significant impact on my overall health and fitness and it's a long term goal, 14 weeks to my first photo checkpoint and having to give up membership of the Clydesdale club.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh boy. feeling dreadful. Carb flu has kicked in, either that or I have real flu kicking in. It's probably down to cutting out the nuts which I had been shovelling in.

Craving foods despite eating up to 3000 calories a day, headache, can't concentrate, feeling lethargic. Generally feeling blurgh!

On a sidenote, Russia Today ran a documentary by an indie film team about metabolic diseases as a result of crap diets which was worth watching.
    Last edited by diploid; 07-20-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast