Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fage Yoghurt page

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member

Fage Yoghurt

Shop Now
    Does anyone know if the yoghurt sold in the UK (imported from Greece) is made from milk from grass fed cows?

Angel_102 is offline Member
    Have had a look on their website and it doesn't say, but it has a lovely animation of the stages they go through to make yoghurt

• TOTAL Production Stages
    Starting Date: 21st May 2011
    Starting Weight: 194lbs
    Current Weight: 178lbs
    Goal Weight: 126lbs

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Don't know.

I have used it, but I prefer Woodands Dairy's Greek-style sheep's milk yoghurt. You can get that in Sainsburys. The pots have a distinctive colour scheme, so are easy to spot:

Woodlands Dairy

Greek-style should mean strained, so that it's thick. Woodlands probably is—seems quite thick. I like it because goat's or sheep's dairy is said to be a bit more digestible than cow's. There are no issues with "is it an A1 or A2 cow?" since all sheep and goat are A2:

The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, sheep tend to be farmed much less intensively than some other livestock—which is why lamb is more expensive than other meats. Woodlands, apparently, do farm the sheep in a very traditional manner, too.

The other thing I like about it is that it says on the container which cultures are used. There are three in there, and they're all the right ones. Sainsburys also has St. Helens goat yoghurt, which tastes OK, but which also uses bifidus culture. Now, bifidus is the one found in the guts of breastfeeding babies, and there's controversy about this but it's said that it may not be an appropriate bacteria for adults and can be invasive and a bad neighbour to other gut bacteria.

For all these reasons—sheep's milk, non-intensive farming methods, and cultures used—I think the Woodlands is probably the best widely-available Greek-style yoghurt available in the UK. Not cheap, of course, since you get what you pay for.

I think I tried the sheep and goat milk and yoghurt from Sainsburys before. I didn't like them that much but maybe I will try the Sheep yoghurt again. Trouble is there is no Sainsburys near me. I have a Morrisons with yummy Fage from Greece or Morrisons own brand from....? Are most British milking cows intensivley farmed in sheds or are they outdoors eating grass? I mean supermarket cows.

I wish I could go get some milk from the farm behind my house. Every day I see lovely cows eating grass about 400 yards away from me. They don't seem to sell it though

linzasaurus is offline Member
    I find that when something is grass-fed, they will announce it. It's a good marketing method, aside from it being better for you, it LOOKS fancy. So, no, I don't think its grass-fed (I have a big ol' full-fat container in my fridge right now, that's how I know!) ...I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as you're keeping it "unpolluted" in the other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by linzasaurus View Post
    I find that when something is grass-fed, they will announce it. It's a good marketing method ...
    Yeah, but that depends on where you are.

In The U.S., "grass fed" seems to have marketing worth, but the O.P. is in the U.K. where it doesn't so much. Why that's so I don't know—maybe some stories about omega-3 splashed bigger in the U.S. Who knows? So Kerrygold butter comes from grass-fed animals, but Kerrygold don't even bother to put that on the wrapping on what they export to the UK, because there's no marketing milage in it.

Yeo Valley, which is an organic brand in the UK, does put on the products that their cows "feed on clover-rich grass". Don't really know what clover's got to do with anything, save that it fixes nitrogen, so keeps the fields greener.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzy10 View Post
    I think I tried the sheep and goat milk and yoghurt from Sainsburys before. I didn't like them that much but maybe I will try the Sheep yoghurt again.
    I preferred the goat's to the sheep's at first—and cow's to either! But the sheep's does grow on you—I relish it now.

Trouble is there is no Sainsburys near me. I have a Morrisons with yummy Fage from Greece or Morrisons own brand from....? Are most British milking cows intensivley farmed in sheds or are they outdoors eating grass? I mean supermarket cows.
    Lucky you. Morrisons are much better value. Don't know how Sainsburys get away with it. :-)

AFAIK, dairy farming in Britain tends not to be as intensive as it often is in the States. Whether many of the cows get out that much is another matter. I've no idea how intensive (or not) dairy farming is in Greece. I think the Yeo Valley stuff is from grass-fed cows, but I'm not sure whether Morrisons does that. The other one that comes to mind is Rachel's Dairy, which is in Wales and used to be a Welsh company, but is now owned by a U.S. company. They do an organic Greek-style yoghurt. You could email them and ask if the milk they use is from grass-fed cows:

Home - Rachel's Organic

I wish I could go get some milk from the farm behind my house. Every day I see lovely cows eating grass about 400 yards away from me. They don't seem to sell it though
    Well, if you want to go as far as making your own yoghurt there may be a small farm with non-intensively reared cattle in your area. Probably that means ones selling raw milk:

Unpasteurised / Raw Milk (Green Top - Farm Fresh) UK | Natural Food Finder

Lewis, the Kerrygold in my fridge says it's from grass fed cows! I do agree though that "grass fed" is not a big thing in the UK. Is that because grass fed is the norm over here?

I found this document online http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/elpenproject/pdf/Greek_typology.pdf
    which seems to say that most cows in Greece are kept indoors eating maize and wheat so that has really put me off Fage now

Laguna is offline Member
    I assume that when I'm looking for Fage in the store, I should be skipping the Total 2%, right? Is there something called just "Total"? Nobody around me seems to carry it, if so.
    6f4i, 40 years old, 85" wingspan, "big build"

Feb 28 2011: 326 lbs (start date)
    Mar 28 2011: 299 lbs
    Apr 30 2011: 285 lbs
    May 31 2011: 274 lbs
    Jun 30 2011: 262 lbs
    Jul 31 2011: 252 lbs
    Sep 30 2011: 241 lbs
    Nov 30 2011: 238 lbs

Goal: 220 lbs

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    yes, there is just a "total" which is the full fat...only Whole Foods around here carries that version.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast