Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: For Newbies: Ditch the scale! page 7

Hazy1966 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks Griff.

I'm a newbie here (but a lifelong trainer).
    I joined the forum with a couple of nagging questions, but it seems I no longer need one of them answered. Thank you for the concise, easy to read post.

Hazy

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Im starting to understand now and lose the habit of a lifetime of weighing myself every day! Its a hard habit to break!!
    I did however, get my bodyfat, muscle mass measured via the Kinetik machine and this has got me puzzled.
    According to the machine, my bodyfat% is 26.1 which is about right for my height - maybe a fraction high, but my muscle mass% comes out at 69.8!!
    Surely that cant be right can it? sounds like a body builders muscle mass!
    What should this be in average? Im 140 lbs, 50 years old and 5ft 4" tall.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind +/- 5 lb fluctuation. I do mind when the +/- 5 lb fluctuation begins trending upward. So I weigh every once in a while. My weight recently began fluctuating between 184-189, when it's usually 170-175. So...yeah. Lord knows that ain't muscle.

I appreciate the intentions of Griff's post. Just keeping a smart eye on the scale (with proper context) works for some, doesn't work for others.

BygoneCat is offline Member
    Ah, the scale of good and evil....I haven't thrown the scale out, but I moved it to another bathroom that I don't use because hubby still wants it in the house. I am on day 2 of my scale free life. Today, I am trying to pay attention to how I feel. I am aiming for weighing myself no more than once a month. If I get to the end of my first Whole30 and I feel good about how I feel, I might not weigh myself. It's a hard addiction to break...Why do I care? It's a lifetime habit, just like thinking the number of calories is important and the food itself isn't.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    The water replaces fat in your cells during fat loss, OMG, it's true! Look:

"A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter:

"Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

This is what we have been telling folks. You lose inches but not pounds because your body plumps the fat cells. I tell them it is a complicated biochemical process that your body replaces the fat molecules with water and fluids until you exceed your bodies predetermined fluid level. Then your body will release a chemical that releases all this stored water and you get a sudden overnight loss of several pounds. Then the cycle starts over again with inches gone and the scales lag behind. "

DavidR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    1. Bodyweight naturally fluctuates up to five pounds up or down over the course of any given day.
    True, precisely why I weigh at the same time each day, first thing as soon as I wake. I keep a log for trend charts. I am looking for trends.

2. You could be building muscle mass. Muscle takes up less space than fat, but weighs more for the same amount of space as a result.
    If one is 386lbs how much muscle could they really be putting on compared to their fat loss?

3. Weight loss is not linear. The body will often dump fat and fill the fat cells with water to "hold" the space, anticipating a refeed of carbs to fill up those storage cells again. Eventually, when it doesn't happen, the body gets the message and dumps the water out.
    This is something I have not read about yet. I certainly would like to read more. I seems to make sense.

4. You may not have a lot of weight to lose.
    Definitely true! But... not in my case.

5. As a corollary to #4, you may have unrealistic expectations of what you should weigh.
    I don't think that is a problem at this point for me.

6. You may be healing. If you're healing, the body is going to prioritize that over weight, every time. You may have a very damaged gut or arteries from years of eating the low-fat, high-carb, healthywholegrains Standard American Diet. If that's the case, it's going to be a while before your body recovers enough to feel safe dropping any weight! Give yourself the time and space to heal, and ditch the scale in the meantime.
    You know... I never thought about that. Nice!

Ways to measure health as well as fat loss:
    - Measurements
    - Clothing fit and sizes
    - Energy levels
    - Sleep patterns, restfulness, and refreshed-ness
    - Hunger patterns
    - To some extent, blood work (glucose levels, triglyceride and HDL levels, LDL patterns)

So, the upshot: throw the scale away and refocus your goals. This isn't about weight loss. This is about living your life.
    While I am not going to ditch my scales anytime soon, you certainly have provided some food for thought regarding some of the "odd' scale behavior. I will definitely take all this into consideration when I feel frustrated at the scale. My wife is along the journey too and she has more frustrations than I with the scale. I will definitely have her read this.

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member
    after being what I thought of as "inexplicably" up 3 pounds this am, I needed this. Thanks
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Drea6681 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    If you have a mirror, I see no need for a scale.
    welcome to body dysmorphia :-/
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea6681 View Post
    welcome to body dysmorphia :-/
    As a female, I still find it difficult to believe the mirror. The mind plays tricks.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

caseycat is offline Junior Member
    thank you so much for this post!!! im a newbie and the scale is frustrating me!!! i feel good though so something must be working

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast