Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: For Newbies: Ditch the scale! page 6

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    6+ months after you posted this, it is exactly what I needed to read on my first trip to the forum. I've been a muscular girl ever since I was a kid (graduated high school at 160 , 5' 8" with a 24 inch waist) and now as a 29 year old mom of 4, I know I'm healthier than a scale reading can tell me. Yet I still find myself stepping on and off it 2 and 3 times a day and watching my mood fluctuate with the number. No more. It is now hidden in the deep dark reaches of a storage closet. Thank you!!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that clothes getting looser (apart from around the biceps) is all that matters.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

violetta59 is offline Junior Member

I'm gaining weight!!!!!!

Okay, I know there are other measures of health, I'm a believer in that - but since I began this diet my weight has gone up - despite not eating grains, gluten or cheese ( I use butter for cooking and occasionally have yogurt). I realize that perhaps I am eating too many calories and I'm going to work on that this week, but my portion sizes are small and well ...

I'm now done whining. I'll let you know what happens.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Great post Griff.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

BeachTeach is offline Senior Member
    The weight is just a number. Found out a colleague of mine with a rocking body and a skinny little waist is 150 lbs and 5'5". She's wearing a size 2.

How do I look? Are my clothes getting looser? How do I feel? Those are the only measures that matter to me.
    I blog about living life to the fullest at The Hairy Edge. Check it out! (Or not. We can still be friends. )

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I like the clothes fit- I love "the cycle of jeans"

Buy jeans. Gain weight.... DRYER IS TOO HOT! Airdry jeans, wear jeans 4-5 times between wash to prevent shrinking. Lose weight? I get one wearing, the stretch, and I am trying hot water and hot dryer. I'm on the hot water and hot dryer with a pair of size 16's from Target. This summer, they were air drying.

I like to weigh myself too. It doesn't get me down. And I never want to gain weight again without knowing what I am doing. I get cyclical water weight and muscle gain... I also get not weighing myself for 2 months and all the sudden gaining 15 lbs and that damn dryer is shrinking my clothes again!

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Ditched mine this weekend after being a daily slave to it. Had my DH hide it somewhere I can't find it. I didn't realize how addicted I was to it. This morning, I looked for it in its usual spot. A little harder habit to break than I thought, but I'll definitely be better for it. I can now focus on living a healthy life and not stressing over a number.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    A good compromise can be weighing on scales that estimate % body fat by impedance. I did this last week on a whim, and they showed I'd gained more muscle than I expected, which gave my confidence a big boost. I'm aware these scales aren't terribly accurate but my mind can play tricks when I look in the mirror, so I'm going to use them more often.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

grogulay is offline Member
    I agree that too many people get obsessed with the scale and think that it is the end all even though they have the knowledge that it's not and to therefore be careful of using it at all but I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should throw it away. I was using it as a tool to make sure that i was drinking enough water (in my earlier training I could lose one kg for 50minutes if i hit it hard) and for electrical impedance fat testers. Another factor for wanting to lose weight, not just fat was for my knees. I think that as long as you have it at the front of your mind that it's only one measurement that can be used in conjuncture with other things to establish your level of health or what to do to change your health then it's OK to use a scale every so often without any problems.

shmee is offline Senior Member
    Awesome post! Thanks Griff, I am a testament to #6. I'm still losing inches, but the # is not moving. Healing indeed! I feel incredible.

Throw away the scale!
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast