Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For Newbies: Ditch the scale! page 4

apelletr is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Thank you for this! I'm 15 days in. The first week I dropped 7 pounds, and it was enormously motivating. I've now stuck with this longer than any other lifestyle change and I know I'll keep it up. I can't imagine stopping. But I do think that first week weight loss made a big difference to me. Now that the loss has slowed, I will be stashing the scale in the back of the closet. I was starting to get a little discouraged that it wasn't continuing at the same pace. So this was very helpful and timely for me. But I do wonder if most newbies would benefit from seeing the short term impact of the change?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    apelletr: I don't think so, because then they tie "success" to "number on the scale." I challenge you to throw the scale away, not just put it in hiding.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

SequoiaShelley is offline Junior Member
    Great post, I knew there was a reason I don't have a scale, thanks for the good information.

Gweebles is offline Member
    My scale broke a month ago when I dropped a fishtank on it (fish lived) I am glad I haven't bought a new one yet.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I weigh every day. I do not let it affect my moods and it is not by any means my only piece of information regarding my fat loss, but it is a piece of information put on a graph that shows a trend. Maybe some day I will mature to the place where I don't need to have that information, but I am not there yet. My main goal in life is to get back into my wedding dress whatever weight that makes me.

#1 body weight does fluctuate, no problem, it is the trend I am watching

#2 possible muscle mass growth is why combining the weight with the measurements is a nice combo

#3 again, why a graph showing trend is so important

#4 does not apply to me

#5 having an unrealistic goal is a far way off for me.

#6 hope sincerely, that I am healing.

Seing yourself in a mirror is just not enough for me. A photograph maybe, but I am not realistic with what I see when I look in a mirror
    I wear dresses mostly, nothing fitted to tell me it is looser
    Energy/sleep are affected by whether or not my CPAP mask leaked, so not a good indicator of diet success

The last time I went without a scale on a diet I ended up at my highest weight. I do appreciate the concept, and while I am very happy for those who do not need the scale, for now, I will keep mine.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    If you consider this yet another "diet" then you should probably keep the scale.

joewheelz is offline Junior Member
    I just started my primal journey today after reading PB over the weekend. I couldn't put it down. I'm not sure I will be able to ditch the scale. I use it daily without even thinking about it.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Nope, absolutely do NOT consider this another or any diet. Consider it a philosophy that rules the way I eat, move, and generally interact with the world. I do hope however that I will also lose weight on this journey. And there is a lot of flexibility within the way I eat and move that can affect that and still be totally primal. But if I didn't learn from past experiences I would not be here. One of my past experiences tells me I don't do well if I don't weigh myself.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I have lost inches all over my body, but my waist and my hips are going down in micro-measurements and I still see a lot of the body parts I didn't like before when I look in the mirror. Weighing shows me that I am on the right track. Half a pound a week to me is a concrete measurement. Thinking, when I'm measuring that the half inch I lost might just be because I'm inhaling or exhaling or not holding the measure right just messes with my head.

I weigh 2x daily (insert gasp here if you like ) I love seeing the difference between my weight at bedtime and my pre-breakfast weight. It fascinates es me that my body can lose 2 lbs overnight. I'm not emotionally attached to these numbers, just getting feedback that the foods I'm eating and the exercise I'm doing is doing the right thing for me.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

CMHFFEMT is offline Member
    I just decided to get ride of my scale today after a week with no movement and obvious change in body comp. I decided it wasnt helping and needed to go. This is the first time I had heard of the fat cells filling with water and then dumping it all of a sudden when your body decides its actually done with it. I would like to read more about it do you know where I could look?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast