Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For Newbies: Ditch the scale! page 3

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I set a weight goal for the summer. I want to reach 199lbs by my birthday in August, but the scale is already biting me in the butt. I took a new kickboxing class 2 days ago, when I go on the scale yesterday expecting a loss, I was up 5 lbs. My brain knows that my muscles are probably retaining water due to the change in exercise routine, but it still didn't feel good.

So I have changed my goal to a pants size/inches goal. To Heck with the scale!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

kaylakala is offline Member
    I started being serious about the primal fittness and weight lifiting about 2 months ago. I've gained weight. It did upset me!! After reading this I was thinking I'm adding an extra 5lbs or more to my lifts every week sometimes more. I gotta be gaining muscle mass!!
    I really need to invest in a tape measure
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    Very nice!
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

I need to have Griff's statement tattooed backwards on my forehead so I can read it several times a day. It is very hard to let go.

//kacar Guest
    Never knew people really weigh themselves so much.... I've never owned a scale. My dad has one (not sure if it still works) and I keep reminding myself to jump on it when I visit my parents because I am curious how much I've lost in the last 3 months, but somehow I always forget to do it.

I use a mirror and a pair of tight jeans for determining my success. I truly recommend this method, because the results are never depressing. ^^

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Chick View Post
    I need to have Griff's statement tattooed backwards on my forehead so I can read it several times a day. It is very hard to let go.
    agreeed

MaLink is offline Member
    Thanks for linking me to this thread, Griff. Ive been weighing myself multiple times a day without thinking about it. I'll put it away for a month and surprise myself at the end of the thirty day challenge instead. Then it goes back in the cupboard.
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

Grokarella is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
    I weigh myself often, but I think I'm one of those people that is mostly unbothered by the results. Most of the time, I use it to keep track of water fluctuation (helpful as a female), but I really don't get upset at fluctuations at all, and I don't consider what it on the scale as an absolute value, nor does it really discourage me to lose weight slowly. So largely, I think it depends on the type of person you are.
    I agree with this. I weigh myself once a week, as I am actively trying to lose weight. I expect fluctuations at times and it does not discourage me when it happens.
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

Savannah is offline Member
    I don't own a scale for this very reason, but the one at the gym has an annoyingly siren-like power :P I try to avoid it, but every so often I give in to the urge-- I've found that if I just CAN'T say no, it's better to give in pre-workout then post-workout. There's something fitting about working out frustration over weight with weight-training, right?

Mica is offline Member
    I definitely needed to read this. Despite how much of it I thought I knew, I still get caught up in what the scale says and let it affect me far too much. Thank you, Griff.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast