Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Leptin Program & Menu Sharing page

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member

My Leptin Program & Menu Sharing

Shop Now
    I have become a big devotee of the Leptin program. Here are the basics of the Leptin Diet as I understand it; this is derived from Mastering Leptin by Byron Richards, Dr. Jack Kruse (jackkruse.com), and Dr. Leo Galland who all have been focusing on leptin as the master hormone. Kruse is a Nashville, TN neurosurgeon who lost something like 130lbs using this. People do more or less carbohydrate, I do less than 50g day, others around 70g, others still around 100g; depends on what you need; for folks who don't need to lose weight, then the higher end.
    I've been reading broadly on this, and my sleep experience alone makes me want to stick with the 8-week reset (after years of insomnia, I am now getting 6-8 hours of restful sleep), and will probably keep with it afterwards.
    My explanations below are simplistic, but the heart of it is if one's brain has become leptin resistant (signs are any or all of these: overweight, struggle losing weight, sleep problems, a host of depression/bipolar type problems) then it's like your computer getting overloaded, and things don't work well. You have to reboot the sytem.
    You do the leptin reset, then you can adjust the early morning protein, add in a few more carbs if you need to, etc. The big one is to avoid snacking and eating after dinner. I was really surprised that after 3-4 days, I lost those cravings. Somehow, knowing that a snack can interfere with the process makes it easy to say no to momentary urges. THINGS/OLD HABITS WILL CHANGE!

To reset leptin, for 6-8 weeks follow The Five Rules

1)Eat 50-70g protein within 30 minutes of waking.

I find protein shakes make this easier, but a small steak and an egg or two easily make around 70g.

2)Eat three meals a day, with NO snacking. Drink lots of water, mineral water, or unsweetened tea. (A little stevia is okay to sweeten lightly.)

This is important to prevent interfering with leptin functioning.

3) No food after dinner. Last meal should be 3-4 hours before bed to allow around 11+hours between last food and morning food. This is when the leptin signalling is completing its cycle.

4) Limit carbohydrates to vegetables, some fruit, cottage cheese, butter, and yogurt for dairy, and minimal grain sources. Avoid sugars and artificial sweeteners that interfere with brain function. To lose weight, 50g-70g per day is recommended. You decide if you want bread, noodles, potatoes, etc, once or twice a week, as it fits in the carb limits, so it's not about giving up everything. Enjoy meats, fish, poultry, and don't worry about fats, or exercise beyond walking and easy biking.

5)Eat to comfortably full, but not large meals.

The first 2-3 days the early protein seems a challenge for lots of people, but I find I wake looking forward to my steak and egg, or shake, etc.

Menu Sharing:

Typical day of food for DH and me:

Drink lots of water, mineral water, or unsweetened tea (I like black and peach teas for iced tea.)

Breakfast- small steak or couple pork chops and egg/ or double scoop protein shake (I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard), DH puts a banana in his shake.
    Lunch: Salad or soup with lots of veggies, and boiled egg/chicken/shrimp
    Dinner: Chicken, asparagus, berries with a little whipped cream.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Menu for today:
    Breakfast (50g protein) - Shake with So Delicious Coconut Milk, one scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey and one scoop egg white protein
    Lunch- Gazpacho with shrimp
    Dinner - Chicken strips on fresh spinach salad, sesame oil dressing; 2 blueberry balls (my version is blueberries blended with coconut butter, Kerrygold, coconut)

Here's link to Batty's Blueberry Balls: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8256.html
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 06-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff SugarBaby. I am going to be helping my Dad with this and this menu will help a lot.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see what others eat; I get in a rut quickly.

My menu today:
    B- 2 pork chops and 2 soft-boiled eggs
    L- fish and cole slaw
    D- chicken, some kind of salad, coconut milk ice cream
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

I find I do better starting with 40-50g of meat vs shakes. I put this list together for my son who's in college and wanted an easy list.

50+g Protein Breakfasts

(Season as you like, add low sugar fruits and vegetables.)

4oz sirloin steak 35g
    2 eggs 12g
    2 oz cottage cheese 6g

8oz ground beef 46g
    2oz cheddar cheese 14g

4oz pork chop 23g
    4oz Cottage cheese 12g
    3 Eggs hard boiled 18g

4oz Ham slice/cubes 16g
    4 eggs scrambled 36g
    1 oz cheddar cheese 7g

8oz cottage cheese 24g
    8oz greek yogurt 20g
    Blend together add 1 scoop flavored protein powder

1/4 quiche 34g
    8 slices Canadian bacon 20g

4 pieces regular-sliced bacon 12g
    3 eggs 18g
    Protein shake 1 scoop 24g

2 hard boiled eggs 12
    1cup kefir 8-14g (depends on brand & fat content)
    5 oz ground beef patty 29g

6oz chicken breast 42g
    1/2 c greek yogurt 10g
    (pour yogurt over chicken, add some salsa, heat through)

Protein Shakes

2 scoops of most varieties = 48-50g
    Mix egg white protein with flavored
    Add coconut milk and/or ice to blender to make a frozen shake

1 scoop 24g
    8oz yogurt 20g or 8oz cottage cheese
    Add enough water or coconut milk to thin if desired

2 scoops protein 48g
    1 raw farm-raised egg 6g (I wouldn’t use regular store eggs raw.)

Fruit adds flavor but little or no protein.

Quiche:

Basic recipe can be divided into muffin tins or a pie plate/quiche dish for wedges= 132g protein:
    10 eggs beaten well
    8oz cheese, gruyere, swiss, or you choice or mixed
    ˝ cup diced onion (or scallions, shallots)
    2T water (or cream or sour cream or yogurt)
    4 oz diced ham (bacon/minced beef /pork/chicken/shrimp-adjust protein count)
    Salt and pepper and season to taste
    Mix ingredients, pour into greased dish, bake at 375F for 35-45 minutes or until knife comes out of center clean.

Cook for a few days:

Lightly cook several ground beef patties, steak pieces, pork chops or other meats in portions you prefer. I do 4 or 8oz portions, which will keep in refrigerator, and can be quickly heated in pan or microwave.

Boil a dozen eggs Sunday night, bring to boil, turn off heat and let sit for 20 min; to ease peeling: after cooking, put into a bowl of ice water for 2-3 minutes, return to hot water for 1-2 minutes, then back in cold water. Store in container with a folded paper towel to collect water the eggs give off.

Make a quiche, cook a roast, roast a chicken, etc, for several easy meals.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

FrostyBeav is offline Junior Member
    I have to be at work at 5 AM so I don't get up any earlier than I have to, even to cook. This means that on work days I usually resort to a shake. I make my shake with 3 eggs, about 80g of half and half and 45g of TrueProtein.com whey. It comes out to about 60g of protein (I go over because the protein in raw eggs is supposedly not completely bioavailable).

A can of Costco albacore tuna is about 45g of protein, so a can of tuna and an egg is also a quick breakfast. It's quick and not totally calorific, if not exactly tasty.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand the exercise part. Are you only allowed to walk and do light biking? Or can you lift too?

Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    I don't understand the exercise part. Are you only allowed to walk and do light biking? Or can you lift too?
    Depends on who you read. Jack Kruse says only mild exercise if any while on the 6-8week reset, others like Richards say exercise a few days a week; this is where I figure you know what you need. If you are not obese, don't think you are severely leptin resistant or insulin resistant, then I don't see why you would worry. I still walk, but just not so far, and do stretching and light lifting. Kruse says exercise can make it harder to reset the leptin, so I don't do anything like serious exercise right now.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
    I have to be at work at 5 AM so I don't get up any earlier than I have to, even to cook. This means that on work days I usually resort to a shake. I make my shake with 3 eggs, about 80g of half and half and 45g of TrueProtein.com whey. It comes out to about 60g of protein (I go over because the protein in raw eggs is supposedly not completely bioavailable).

A can of Costco albacore tuna is about 45g of protein, so a can of tuna and an egg is also a quick breakfast. It's quick and not totally calorific, if not exactly tasty.
    Some days it is enough to just get the protein and not worry about how great it tastes. But, it really helps to have things precooked so you don't have to think much. A big burger patty with cheese is what my son and I like for the hurry mornings, DH is shake guy every morning.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

Menu today:
    B-Steak and eggs
    L-Choc protein shake with coconut milk
    D-Deviled eggs, salad, almonds
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast