Thread: The Role of Cortisol in......... page

The Role of Cortisol in.........

I just didn't have the heart to put the world leptin in another thread title.

So according to Dr. Jack cortisol plays a big part in leptin resistance. But how big a part does it play in insulin resistance? It seems like some of the same things that help with restoring insulin sensitivity, like fasting, do just the opposite for leptin sensitivity.

Any thoughts on why that is? Aren't our hormones supposed to work together and stuff? And if they need different things to help come into line which should take precedence?
    The two constants in my life are a clean mind and dirty knees.

Everything else is subject to change without notice.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Exercise also helps with insulin resistance and is not recommended for the initial Leptin Reset - But it is supposed to be incorporated eventually. Likewise, fasting can also be introduced after significant progress (according to Dr. Kruse - I haven't read Mastering Leptin yet). Dr. Kruse seems to be of the opinion that the things that affect Leptin should come first, but he definitely seems to intend that to be a step that leads to proper exercise (in his book that means HIITs) and eventually to insulin sensitivity as well as leptin sensitivity. His most recent post kinda touches on that.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 06-29-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: because sensitivity shouldn't be spelled r.e.s.i.s.t.a.n.c.e.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    His most recent post kinda touches on that.
    I found Dr. Jack's blog, but found it hard to navigate through--do you have a link to it? Does it have a reader's comment section?

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    HERE

That takes you to his main blog page. The blog navigates pretty much like any wordpress or blogger blog. Start at the front page and scroll down. Click the *Older Posts* link at the bottom to move farther back in pages. The post I was referencing is HERE.

To comment on Dr. Kruse's blog you have to click the title of the post and scroll down. Otherwise comments aren't visible. He is pretty good about answering most questions (though he skipped a few of mine). The brainier you sound, or the more on-track your question is with the post at hand the more likely he seems to be to actually answer it.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DinosaurKisses View Post
    I just didn't have the heart to put the world leptin in another thread title.

So according to Dr. Jack cortisol plays a big part in leptin resistance. But how big a part does it play in insulin resistance? It seems like some of the same things that help with restoring insulin sensitivity, like fasting, do just the opposite for leptin sensitivity.

Any thoughts on why that is? Aren't our hormones supposed to work together and stuff? And if they need different things to help come into line which should take precedence?
    It's WAY more complicated than that. Ask 20 drs about cortisol, you will get 20 different answers.

This is my understanding (someone correct it if they know more)-

Cortisol mainly comes from the adrenals. Cortisol is released in times of stress. Chronic stress means tired adrenals and high cortisol levels, until adrenals give up and they just stop working. You can also have issues due to lack of sleep, toxins, and crappy diet.

Leptin works between fat tissue and your brain.

Insulin works between your pancreas the blood and cells.

Yes, they all inter-relate. If it sounds like you are reading conflicting advice, it is because the people giving that advice are talking about different things.