Thread: stomach messed up from eating primal? page

alexgray is offline Junior Member

stomach messed up from eating primal?

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating primal for a week. I was a healthy eater before eating mostly animal protein, dairy, fruit, vegtables, and whole grains. The big difference in my eating now is no grains. So I have stepped up the animal proteins, fruits, vegatbles, and nuts.

Is it typical during this transition to have digestive discomfort now and then? I can't seem to pin point what individual food item might be causing. It seems to vary.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Significantly increasing fruit, veg and nuts will do that. Your body will adjust to more of these things. But you should limit fruit and nuts anyway - a serving or two of low glycemic fruit. One serving of nuts.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Totally normal as your body adjusts. Give it about a month before stressing about it.

alexgray is offline Junior Member
    Thank you

JVAMan is offline Member
    Same thing happened with me. I've also recently started drinking 1 tbsp of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the morning (mixed with a glass of water) which has definitely created some "movement" in my stomach over the last day or two, hopefully it will subside soon.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    The increased fat intake can take some adjustment too. I still can't handle as much fat as some people around here can manage without feeling ill.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

barefootmama is offline Member
    Are you eating coconut oil or milk for the first time? It has a detox/laxative effect and can take a bit of adjustment.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootmama View Post
    Are you eating coconut oil or milk for the first time? It has a detox/laxative effect and can take a bit of adjustment.
    That explains what's been going on, lately... I just started using coconut oil a few days ago..

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It took a month for my body to figure out how to digest leafy greens. I was a salad shooter at first, but refused to give up. Now they break down almost completely. I hardy even see stems or undigested leaves anymore on the way out. Chewing very well makes a HUGE difference.

CowQ is offline Junior Member
    I had some stomach acid problems which I think were caused by not eating enough vegetables, when I first started. Now I aim for about 60% of my meals to be made up of vegetables (by volume, not calories)!!