Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal 80% for 30 days, no weight loss. ??? page

joansch is offline Junior Member

Primal 80% for 30 days, no weight loss. ???

Primal Fuel
    Hi, everyone. I'm new to this Pimal lifestyle and am very frustrated. I've been 80 - 90% for the past 30 days, yet haven't lost a single pound. I have 85 pounds to lose, so this is very depressing. I exercise 5 - 6 days a week. 3 - 4 days of walking, 2 days of weights, 1 Pilates class. What's the point of changing my eating habits and, frankly, giving up the foods I enjoy, with no results? I'm doing this to lose weight -- and rapidly losing my motivation to continue instead.

Any thoughts? Besides giving up even MORE foods I like, like fruit and dairy?

Thanks.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." -- Donald Neale Walsh
    ==========================
    Joan Schramm
    Helping you leverage social media
    for your career or business

Check out my blog, Accelerating Momentum

Find me on:

Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Twitter

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Where are you starting from? Frankly i Have seen very little weight loss in the past year but I have been dropping inches. Have you checked your measurements to see if they have changed. Are clothes fitting better. There is more to it then just the weight.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

My current weight is 219 pounds. I'm 5'4", and 58 years old. I've been stuck at this weight for 6 months, found PB and thought I'd give it a try. I have not checked my measurements, but my slacks are a little looser. However...I still need to see the scale moving downward and see some weight loss. Slightly looser slacks isn't going to be enough.
    Joan Schramm

Find me on:

Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Twitter

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Also, what are you eating? Post a "menu" for a typical day, including amounts if you can.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    If you're 80-90%, what is your 10-20%?

I'm definitely not saying you have to be perfect, but if your 10% is gluten or Nutrasweet or something, you might not see any progress.

And I'm seconding the measurement idea too. For me, I use a bodyfat scale at the same exact time every day, and it may or may not accurately state my bodyfat, but it does show I'm making progress even when i really can't tell.

ETA: You can also be losing a lot of internal fat. You know, the fat that is surrounding your vital organs.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, stop looking at this as a weight-loss diet. Your body probably has a lot of healing to do. That takes priority for the body over losing weight.

Give it time. You may need six months or a year to heal enough that your body's willing to let go of the weight. Be patient, throw the scale in the garbage, and look at how you are feeling and moving and sleeping and fitting into your clothing instead of focusing on an arbitrary number which tells you nothing about the changes your body is making.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Here's a more primal day:

B -- cup black tea w/2 tsp Splenda, 1 T half½ 3 eggs; 2 pieces turkey sausage; 4 slices bacon
    L -- BAS with 3 oz chicken, 1 T parmesan cheese, 2 T low-fat dressing
    Snack -- 1 cup blueberries
    D -- 1/2 chicken breast, grilled with skin; grilled zuccini, peppers and onions with olive oil; steamed broccoli with butter
    Snack -- 1/2 cup blackberries

During the day, drank black iced tea with sweet & low, or water
    Total: 1280 calories; 81 carbs

Here's a not so primal day:

B -- cup black tea w/2 tsp Splenda, 1 T half½ 6-grain bagel w/2 T lo-fat cream cheese; 1 oz cheddar cheese
    L -- ham & cheese sandwich on 2 slices whole wheat bread w/1 T mayo; 1 cup strawberries;
    D -- 8 oz rib eye steak; 2 cups broccoli w/butter; 1/2 small roasted potato;

During the day, drank Crystal Light lemonade or water
    Total: 1384 calories; 134 carbs

Up until now, I ate fairly low-carb anyway, I just cut back more when I started PB. I'm sorry, but I can't wait a year for the weight to decide to come off. For me, the whole point of doing PB is to lose weight, and if I'm not going to lose weight then what's the point? Food is a constant struggle, with the list of things I can't eat getting longer and longer. It would be worth it if I saw some results, but cutting out everything I like to eat to stay the same? Not so much.
    Joan Schramm

Find me on:

Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Twitter

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You're WAY above the "sweet spot" for weight loss at 134 carbs. Cut that down to the bone if you want to see weight loss. You're in the weight-maintenance range, so it's no wonder you're not losing.

Ditch the bread. Ditch the bagel. Ditch the fruit for now. Ditch the potatoes. You are not eating primally if you are eating these things and expecting to lose weight.

Go look at my post: "Newbies: Ditch the Scale!" please.

And the point is to be healthy. You keep focusing on that number, and you're going to fail. It's time to broaden your goals beyond a number. If you can't do that, maybe you're not ready to be healthy.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    lower your carbs down to as close to 0 as possible. you want your body to enter a state of ketosis to start burning fat. the fruit could be hurting you as well. id cut them out entirely for now and once you start losing weight you can add them back in slowly.

also every time your body gets out of ketosis, it takes around 48 hours before it can get back into it. if you are eating enough carbs every 48 hours to knock you out of ketosis (>+/-50grams) youll never lose any significant weight

also remember you didnt gain the weight overnight, its not fair to think you should lose it overnight

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think you'd get better results if you cut out the Splenda and the SweetNLow. Your body thinks it's getting sugar, so it gets ready for it, then it doesn't come so it can make you stay hungry. Seriously, I know artificial sweeteners are zero calorie and zero carb, but they aren't zero impact chemically. They can completely stall weight loss.

Also, I know it may only be every once in a while, but the bagel and the whole wheat bread have to go. ANY kind of bread or wheat. Even when Mark is talking about only going 80%, that doesn't include wheat. It has a huge impact on your body, one of which is inflammation, which translates to more weight on the scale and pants not fitting as loosely as they could. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is.

Let's put it this way - if I "cheat" or whatever you want to call it and have a small Dairy Queen hot fudge sundae, I won't lose any weight that day. If I have a hamburger bun instead, I'll add on at least a pound an a half overnight, as well as some significant bloating and gas. It has that much effect.

Gluten seems to be one of those things where just a little bit does a whole lot of damage.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 06-29-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast