Thread: Canning pickles? page

Artemis-MA is offline Member

Canning pickles?

Primal Fuel
    I'm planning on putting up dill cucumber pickles. Anyone got a good recipe without sugar in it?

Thanks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have a few on my blog (link in signature.)

I just read that adding grape leaves to the batch will make them crisp. I plan to test that out this fall.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Fine recipes on Diana Renata's blog.

You might like to try some easy Japanese salt pickles too. For a press I use any glass bowl or jar and weight it with another bowl or jar with something to add weight---anything--A can of vegetables. I have two cleaned and polished rocks--different weights-- that I brought home from the woods.

3 kyuri (Japanese cucumbers) or any cucumber, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds,
    three teaspoons of salt.

or perhaps you'd prefer...
    3 nasu (Japanese eggplants) or any eggplant, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds,
    three teaspoons of salt.

Place the cucumber or eggplant slices into the pickle press (or jar) and add one teaspoon of salt, mix well by stirring with your hands. Add the second teaspoon of salt and mix again. Add the final tablespoon of salt and mix well. Clamp on the top of the pickle press and screw down the lid until it pushes down tightly on the top layer of vegetables to be pickled. Leave under pressure overnight or for at least 10 hours. Remove the pickles from the press and place in a colander, wash well to remove salt, pat dry and serve. Salt pickles like these should last a week or more when refrigerated, but they're so delicious you'll probably eat them all before you have any left to store!
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    Thanks all! I've put up my dill pickles, I can't wait to try.

I think next up will be the eggplant suggestion!