Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMinnetta's 30 Day Challenge Journal page 2

cminnetta is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wednesday, July 6th = Day 7

Today's Weight: 167.8

Wrapping up my first full week of primal living and i couldn't be more pleased with my decision to go primal! Have I said how awesome the food is??? I can't believe all the years I looked at the organic food section and dismissed it as not worth the extra money. It is SO worth it, just on taste alone, but knowing what it is doing for my health longterm makes it an even bigger bargain.

And have I said how great it is to be working out like Grok, instead of like Kelly Korg??? This is the time of day I am normally starting to drag at work but here I sit, alert and full of energy. Even though I am still working out in the morning, between the extra 30 - 45 minutes of sleep plus moving at a slower pace it is making a big difference on my fatigue , and I suspect my appetite, too. I'm sure I'm in ketosis right now, too, because of the low carbs, but I have been in ketosis more often than not in the last 4 years and don't recall feeling this great a sense of satisfaction with my food.

SPeaking of working out, I did my first sprint workout this morning on the lifecycle. I worked hard for 30 minutes but instead of feeling drained, I felt pumped and the feeling has carried over. And my back is feeling much better today.

And let's not forget that I have lost 10 lbs in 6 days. Woohoo! The majority of it water, I'm sure, but I do think I am out of the initial water loss and am now experiencing real fat loss. What is most gratifying, however, is that my attempts to re-start my diet with Atkins, Protein Power, etc over the past 8 months or so have not netted this type of result in the out-of-the-gate phase so the omission of the soy, gluten and other chemicals is making a real difference now and I am sure will continue to make a difference in facilitating weight loss going forward. ANd in those past attempts I was doing 45 - 60 minutes of cardio every day + 60 minuites of weight training 3 times per week. ALso, in those recent attempts even if I had lost weight, this is the point at which my resolve would crack, I would binge, and regain most of what I'd lost. This time, far from cracking, my resolve to continue to live this life is even higher than it was on day 1. It is easy, it is gratifying, it is fun, and it is getting results.

Who would want to abandon a plan that is returning all of these benefits? Not I!

Friday, July 8th - Day 8

Today's Weight: 168

Eight days in and my first thought is should I still even be referring to this as a "30-day challenge" when I know after just one week that I have no intention of going back to my old diet and exercise habits. I love living primal!

Speaking of the old habits, now that I am feeling firmly committed to the primal lifestyle, I am ready to take on one lingering bad habit from the past - late night eating. True, the foods I;ve been eating late night have fit within the primal guidelines, but I know that the extra food is going to make it even more challenging for me to reach my weight goal of 150lbs because I have a harder time controlling portions when I eat late night, and it's disruptive to my sleep. Plus everything I know about IF makes it clear that my body needs the uninterrupted break from digesting food, and the overnight fast is the least painful way tp give it what it needs.

So, starting tonight, I will plan to go at least 10 hours without eating. On a typical weekday, when I eat breakfast around 8am, that will mean no eating after 10pm. On weekends, when I typically eat breakfast around 9am, that will mean no eating after 11pm. Eventually I'd like to extend the fast time to 12 hours overnight, but starting with 10 hours will be a big accomploshment for me. Once I am able to do that without breaking a sweat, I can gradually move the evening "stop eating" time earlier until I can do 12 hours comforatbly. But first things first - starting tonight, NO EATING AFTER 10 PM!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great. It's wonderful to see some more positive threads
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thank you for the encouragement, Belinda.

Monday, July 11th - Day 11

Today's weight: 167.8

Wow, went the entire weekend without journaling. How'd that happen??? My 2nd "Primal" weekend. How did I do?

The GREAT stuff:

1. After overdoing it with Absolut at Happy Hour on Friday night, passed on the wine for the rest of the weekend.
    2. Started with every intention of eating a full dinner of steak and salmon on Sunday but was satisfied after just a few bits so stopped eating and saved the rest for dinner today.
    3. Have honored my pledge to stop eating by a certain time; stopped at 10pm on Friday, and 11pm on Saturday and Sunday

The Not-So-Great Stuff:
    1. Did some primal baking with almond flour - pumpkin walnut cookies and brownies. THey were awesome, I really have the recipe down, HOWEVER, I struggled to eat them in moderation. I'm really torn about what to do - stop baking them and put them completely off limits or keep baking them in the hope that I will get used to having them around (soon!) and will be able to take them or leave them, as I wasable to do with other former binge food favorites once I stopped treating them as if they were a limited time only special. Silver lining is that because I stuck with my no eating after a certain time, I did not eat any late night which is when I really seem to overdo it. OK, so I'll keep trying as long as I see progress in my ability to not over eat them or struggle with the cravings, but if I don't get better or start to backslide, I will have to go cold turkey.

Despite this, am still feeling very good about how I've taken to the lifestyle. It works for me!

Tuesday, July 12th - Day 12

Today's weight: 166.4

Weight loss is continuing! I'm definitely into fat burning mode.Am expecting it to stall at anytime but Ill keep enjoying it while it seems "easy".

And it does seem easy. I've been able to stop eating by my set time at night for 4 days now and after the first night it has become increasingly easier. Last night it barely even registered.

Tomorrow I'm going to give Tabata sprints for my a.m. workout. I'm looking forward to the challenge but I'm also looking forward to being able to sleep in a little later than normal. Sleep and a good workout - this is so cool!

I'm waiting to receive my copy of the Hidden FOod Allergies book, which I suspect is going to provide the evidence I am insisting on having before i give up some of the foods that my ALCAT identified as intolerances. I've been trying to pay closer attention and it's starting to seem as if the cheese is causing me some mild gastric problems. Not sure about the cocoa powder that I out in my smoothies. But I'll cross that bridge when I get my book.

Wednesday, July 13th - Day 13

Today's weight: 166.4

Did my first Tabata sprint workout this morning as planned and all I can say is "WHOA!" I was skeptical that 4 minutes or even 20 minutes of interval spints could accomplish anywhere near the results I expected to get from my 60 minutes of high intensity cardio (I say "expected" because I was getting increasingly less of a payoff for all the time and effort I was putting in). Well consider me one of the converted! After the first 4 minute set on my startionary bike, I couldn't believe how my heart was raising. For a minute I thought I might pass out and that there was no way I could do any more, but after 2 minutes of rest I was ready for another round. By the time round 3 came, I was determined to finish the full cycle. I made it but but the sweat was pouring off of me and I was panting like crazy, trying to catch my breath. Despite this, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment and a surge of energy unlike any I've ever had after an hour of pounding away on the elliptical. All this in only 20 minutes! Can't wait until next week when I get to do it again!

THursday, July 14th - Day 14

Today's Weight: 168.4

I could kick myself! Just spend 40 minutes pouring out my heart in this journal, walking through what led to my first major slip in the PB plan and detailing all the reasons I wanted to adopt the PB lifestyle in the first place, and then I inadvertently zapped it before saving. I don't have time now to re-write it all but I guess I don't need to do that to remember the conclusions it led me to, so I will just bottom line them here.

1. I am renewing my commitment to the PB lifestyle, pledging to eat 3 whole foods meals per day, unless I am skipping a meal as part of an IF in which case I will not substitute primal "snacks" for the meal

2. I will not allow my lapse of overnight binge eating turn into a relapse; I recommit to abstain from eating after 10pm at night starting tonight

3. I am placing a moratorium on primal baked treats for 30 days from today, which will take me to the day before I leave for vacation. I will toss out what I have remaining in the fridge now and will not make any more. This is going to be the toughest of all of these to stick to, but I can do anything for just 30 days!

4. I will review my Hiddden Food book when it comes today or tomorrow, but I don't need to wait for it to give my test results a thorough review and identify the foods that are currently staples in my diet that I will need to consider eliminating from my diet, at least for a short time as recommended to lessen my intolerance of them.

Saturday, July 16th - Day 16

Today's Weight: 168

Call it Primal Lifestyle meets Emotional Eating. I had to know that at some point my history of disordered eating would bump up against my desire to adopt the primal lifestyle but I guess on some level I was hoping against hope that getting out from under the influence of the frankenfood chemicals would also magically address all the emotional issues that have been the driver of my emotional eating struggles of the past, but I guess that would be looking for the easy way out of something that has been a struggle for 20+ years. But that's OK, I don't need easy, I just need to keep plugging away at it and making progress, and that I know I can do with this lifestyle.

THe thing that is holding me back right now is my fear of life without "treats". WHile there is plenty of room for primal baked goods in the lifestyle, it will impede my health and weight goals if I use them as binge food in place of the frankenfoods. 10 primal brownies is still 9 brownies too many. SO why am I so afraid? What is it exactly that I think will happen to me if I don't have these foods as options, even though I can eat my fill of all of this other delicious healthy food? I certainly won;t be starving or deprived by any means.

But what I will be lacking is the distraction from my life and work problems that these foods provide, and the false and very temporary feeing of comfort. I need to remember however that it is just a smoke screen. THe problems are still there no matter how much bingeing I do, no matter how numb I feel from stuffing myself. Remember that - the food is just a smokescreen.

I want this, I need this, I can do this!
    Last edited by cminnetta; 07-16-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Saturday, July 16th - Part Two

So when I typed the first entry I was trying to pump myself up but the attempt fell short so I decided to search the forum to see if anyone else out there was also dealing with disordered eating while trying to adopt the primal lifestyle, and came across a stream of posts that contained a wealth of motivating and inspiring information. SOme of the things I want to make sure I remember for my own journey:

"You cant 'baby' an eating disorder- it doesnt work like that and EVERY SINGLE sufferer should know the justifications one's mind will make up and the ED will LITERALLY believe as truth. change it, accept recovering. it involves SO much b/c it means changing your ENTIRE life, every breath of every day and every thought of every minute.no theyre not curable, but you accept what you were born with and that your brain is neurologically 'off'....ED's are really mental disorders and the repair for them is via food."

"You have to decide FOR SURE if you really do want to get better and get off the crazy train, or if you are just going on yet another diet scheme with this Primal thing. If the former, it's gonna take some time. Healing takes time; dieting does not."

"One of the things I did - and I know we're all different - when I was in recovery from my eating disorder was to really learn to appreciate my body for the amazing piece of machinery and genius engineering that it is. Rather than punishing it for being "too this" or "not-enough that," I learned to trust that my body wanted nothing more than pure, unadulterated homeostasis. It wanted and needed to be left alone to do its own thing, without me meddling. That really helped me get through the tough times I was having a few weeks back. I just told myself to BACK THE HELL OFF and let the body do what it needed to do. And sure enough, it came through for me. It was holding onto that fat for reasons that I don't need to understand. It let go of it when it was ready.

Your body is learning how to burn stored fat and process dietary nutrients properly. There will be ups and downs on this process. A line that is frequently told to very obese patients that are trying to lose weight is: "You didn't gain this weight quickly, so don't expect to lose it quickly." That same idea can be applied to those of us with metabolic derangements or eating disordered pasts or whathaveyou. It took us our whole entire lives to completely screw up our systems; we need to give our bodies due time to get it all back on track. We need to be patient and kind."

Every time you allow yourself to partake in a meal of unreal food the malfunctioning neural circuits which we have accepted do not work correctly are strengthened- like a cocaine addict who takes just one more hit. Now you are left completely at a loss when trying to figure out why you do what you do you and resort to assuming helplessness. The only blame is the part of your brain that aint working but you needed to have accepted it. Most of ‘our’ minds operate purely on impulse so doing something like saying I WILL NEVER BIINGE OR STARVE AGAIN probably won’t get you too far. Same with self blame and self hate- reaction to impulse.

Our brains are going to have f8cked up neural circuits and they are going to fire, you just have to engage other circuits to weaken them (eat real food, plain). You can’t reinforce them 24/7.

Don’t do stupid things. If you binige, you’re going to eat all the oreos if you buy them. Don’t go browsing the junk food isle at the gas station, don’t drool over a vending machine and do your best to turn the channel when the new brownie cereal commercial comes on.

Seriously, many people will waste their entire lives suffering because they would rather die, lose a foot; lose their vision than give up _______. Stop being a baby, use your noggin and accept it. Food while healing is medication. Some is off limits- A LOT IS NOT.

Thanks to all the incredible women who posted these words of wisdom and too many others for me to copy. NOW I feel pumped up FOR REAL to keep moving forward with my primal life!
    Last edited by cminnetta; 07-16-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12