Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Gold vs. Organic Valley Pasture Butter page 4

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I eat both, but here's the issue:
    I find Kerrygold to always be much more YELLOW than OV. It's a natural yellow, very pleasing to the eye. More importantly, this gives me faith that the butter is rich in Vitamin A. The OV is often very white, which makes me think that it's not quite as vitamin rich.
    Thoughts?
    I've noticed that too. In the wintertime, even grass fed cows are eating grain because it is too cold to go out. But Organic Valley's Pastured Brand is supposedly a seasonal specialty that is only available in the summer so that shouldn't be an issue. To me, Kerry Gold has better color and better taste. And their Reserve Cheddar is my favorite cheese of all time.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I eat both, but here's the issue:

I find Kerrygold to always be much more YELLOW than OV. It's a natural yellow, very pleasing to the eye. More importantly, this gives me faith that the butter is rich in Vitamin A. The OV is often very white, which makes me think that it's not quite as vitamin rich.

Thoughts?
    That's funny, I've always thought the opposite. The OV pasture butter has always been more yellow than the KG. Never seen OV that has been white. Are you sure it was the pasture butter?

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyTHFC View Post
    That's funny, I've always thought the opposite. The OV pasture butter has always been more yellow than the KG. Never seen OV that has been white. Are you sure it was the pasture butter?
    Yes, always the limited edition pasture butter.

Since they use local farmers, it's very likely the cows that we get our butter from are completely different with totally different diets. Here in Texas, I know it's very dry in the summer and they probably have to supplement feed, so that could be a factor.

PaleoPam is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to Paleo, and just found Organic Valley's Pasture Butter. Next day I went back and bought them out - - 12 packs! Very superior stuff ... haven't had Kerry Gold yet, though.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I use kerrygold everyday, will have to give OV a try though. I used to drink their milk back when I was still drinking pasteurized milk. I think the price may be a litter better too. Anyone have links of the comparison between the two?

PaleoPam is offline Junior Member
    Oooo, I did find the Smjor butter mentioned earlier in this thread ... in my local Whole Foods.

Yowsa, it is darker yellow and stronger scented than the Organic Valley Pasture Butter. Costs less, too, incredibly!

Yum, yum, yum.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I was using Organic Valley because my market didn't have Kerrygold, but when I was able to get Kerrygold, I much prefer its flavor, and now buy only Kerrygold.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    12 packs! That is serious butter:-)

I love them both. Prices change, so I just get whichever one's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPam View Post
    I'm new to Paleo, and just found Organic Valley's Pasture Butter. Next day I went back and bought them out - - 12 packs! Very superior stuff ... haven't had Kerry Gold yet, though.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I buy whichever one I can get cheaper. But those are the only 2 butters I buy. I won't eat any other OV butters, because they're not fully pastured, but when the one in the green foil wrapper is on sale, I stock up. Never seen the Smjor, but now I'm intrigued.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FYI, PNW eaters, Rose Valley butter is delicious, local, and on pasture very often. The butter is very yellow right now. I'll never go back to another if I can help it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast