Thread: Suggestions for stew meat and mushrooms in the crockpot? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Suggestions for stew meat and mushrooms in the crockpot?

Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty good at cooking and baking, but I'm always nervous doing anything without a base recipe.

I'd have stew meat, mushrooms, onion, and white wine, which I'm sure will be amazing together. I'm just not sure about accompanying spices and cook time. Anyone have something similar they make that I could spring off of? Or just some suggestions?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Crock pot, high for4.5 hrs or low for 8 hrs (that's the standard crockpot time for evrything, heh).
    I'd use red wine instead of white, or a very small amount of whiskey. Or soy sauce. Or soy sauce with the whiskey.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Try adding some thyme and black pepper.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

busymom is offline Junior Member
    salt/pepper (brown the meat in a skillet), combine in crockpot, add a few cloves of chopped up garlic, and let it go.

nicoleah is offline Member
    Red wine, couple splashes of Worcestershire, S&P, fresh garlic, thyme & maybe a bay leaf or two. That's how I do beef roasts most of the time.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't like how mushrooms taste from a crockpot, so I would stew meat with spices for ~ 4 hours on high, and grill mushrooms or fry them with celery, thyme, butter and onions, and then serve the meat on the bed of mushrooms.

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    I would add garlic, carrots, and parsnips. Any herbs you have are great. I like herbs provence, and caraway seeds are nice too. White wine will work, but red wine is usually better, or you can use beef stock. Might want to try a couple tablespoons of tamari. I like to marinate the meat first, but it's not strictly necessary. Cook it tightly covered in the oven on 225 for 3-5 hours (depending on how thick your meat is). If it dries out, add more stock or wine, and conversely, if you have a lot of liquid, reduce it on the stovetop afterward. You can add mustard or horseradish to the reduced liquid to make a nice sauce.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all! I followed Griff's advice, and went pretty simple with thyme and black pepper. It turned out GREAT--except I didn't put enough of the seasonings in the mix, and had to up it at the table. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be trying them out as I continue to buy grass-fed stew meat from the farmer's market (that and ground beef are the cheapest they sell!)

kitana is offline Senior Member
    In addition to some of the things already listed (bay, thyme, rosemary), my secret ingredients for seasoning a stewed dish (or soup, or sauce) are:

*mustard (just a bit, maybe a 1/4 tsp - not enough to taste mustardy, but it adds so much)

*crushed red pepper flakes (not enough to make it hot, but a pinch will make it feel warm in your throat and stomach - very 'comfort-y')

*'Penguins' - well, that's my name for it. This one takes some advanced prep, but I highly recommend it. Whenever I roast a chicken (which I stuff with fennel, garlic and lemon) I throw the tops of the fennel, more garlic and lemon in the bottom of the pan to roast with it. When the chicken is done and is resting, I discard the very-carmelized-by-now fennel, garlic and lemon, skim most of the fat (opt), leave the remaining juices and make a double reduction with white wine, chicken stock and additional herbs on the stovetop. It's sinfully rich. I take the excess and put it in my little silicon ice cube trays where the 'cube' is penguin shaped and then I keep them in a container in the freezer. I'd estimate they're about the size of 2 Tbsp. When I need that extra depth, dimension and savoriness in a dish - I toss in a 'penguin' or two.

Happy stewing!

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Toss in carrots and celery and a bay leaf for that basic stew flavor, then whatever you like. That's the beauty of stew; a dash of this--taste; a sprig of that--taste; etc.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)