Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat the orange peel? page

GrainsRLame is offline Junior Member

Eat the orange peel?

I just had an orange today and had a "WWGD" moment, where I said why not eat the peel too? It's totally edible and has a nice bite to it, so I ate about half the peel before I got full. I figure it's at least got some fiber in it. Is there any reason NOT to eat the peel (assuming it's organic of course, so pesticide free).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Always eat the peel.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Then you're probably going to like this too!

It's with lemons, but I wonder if it would work with oranges? Either way...

MDA Preserved Lemons
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Then you're probably going to like this too!

It's with lemons, but I wonder if it would work with oranges? Either way...

MDA Preserved Lemons
    Works on any citrus (though you'd have to be a true masochist to do it with grapefruit). Consider adding the following herbs (you want dried, not fresh in this case) with various citrus - Thyme with Lemon, Cloves and Sage with Orange, Cayenne Pepper and Cilantro with Lime.

Zack is offline Junior Member
    I almost always use the very outer part of the peel(zest) and that is pretty tasty. Not too fond of the of the rest of the peel though.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    grate it and use it as a spice
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainsRLame View Post
    (assuming it's organic of course, so pesticide free).
    That's the point. The skins of citrus fruit seem to be problematic for moulds and so forth growing on them. Consequently, before they're sent to market they coat most of them in a mixture of wax and about three different fungicides to make sure the skins stay in good nick.

There have been experiments, incidentally, where experimenters have dropped a slice of lemon in some gin and tonic (as people commonly do), left it for awhile, and then analysed the drink to see whether any fungicides had passed into the gin. As I remember they had, although obviously not in huge doses.

I don't know about where you are but round here there are often four packs of lemons sold as "unwaxed lemons". I guess cooks use lemon peel fairly often, so the people trying to sell them are making the point that the peel is OK to use.

I guess if your oranges are sold as organic, the peel will not be treated with wax/pesticide.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    When I can get unwaxed or organic oranges, I dry the peel of oranges and tangerines, then keep it in a glass jar in my herb / spice cupboard. A few pieces dropped in a beef stew / casserole add a wonderful flavour. Or a few pieces put through a coffee grinder or similar, to make a powder, add fabulous flavours to many spicy chicken or duck dishes.

Also, the pith contains pectin which is very beneficial, and used dried, the bitterness of the pith vanishes.

Paleobird Guest
    Orange peel also makes a nice addition to a pot of tea.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i love the white pithy part on an orange with a thick skin. but only if you eat the pith immediately after you've peeled that part off the orange. don't wait until the whole orange is peeled. iirc, it's loaded with bioflavonoids. i wouldn't eat the peel itself, and i don't know if grok necessarily would have either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast