Thread: Did I sprint too hard? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Did I sprint too hard?

Primal Fuel
    I went out and decided to sprint like I had a lion on my heels. I feel that I truly dredged up something close to the absolute maximum output I am capable of. I used proper form and my legs...I didn't know they could alternate that quickly to keep up with the ground! And it wasn't just a body exercise, I used the fear response so my mind was extremely aware of every millisecond. Are we supposed to activate the sympathetic nervous system while sprinting? Anyway, I walked home and did eat some salmon and an avocado. But it took three days for the soreness to go away! I won't lie, I never expected a sprint to make me sore. Apparently what I was doing before was just a really fast run. This felt like nothing else. I had fire inside me and it would have kept burning but I felt my heart pounding in my chest and I knew my lungs could never deliver enough oxygen to maintain that kind of speed. It only lasted about two blocks. That's probably around 250 feet. After that I knew I was going to pass out if I didn't stand still to breathe for awhile. Is this normal? Can a heart explode?

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    Sounds about right! I think the fear/flight instinct should have kicked in some morphines to totally ignore the pain while you were doing it, but yes ... you would feel knackered afterwards. Great! Push yourself beyond every so often. I'm going to try to stimulate the fear instinct.

While out in my huaraches the other evening (I mention that because I think the made a difference to how I sound to animals), I set off on my warm up fast run and fixed a position to break into sprint. I did this and to my surprise I was surrounded by rabbits who were so startled to see a human in the middle of them that they froze, scattered and ran alongside me. I actually scooped one up like an errant rugby ball! I was so surprised myself, I fell over, let the little fellow go, rolled, back on my feet and was running backwards before I knew what was going on! It was utterly bizarre! Stepping outside of normal bounds is quite surreal.

I had to stop as well - I felt faint and quite unreal. I guess it was the adrenaline, morphines and so on coarsing around the body. No, your heart won't explode, but I bet that feeling will get addictive. I'll definitely try the fear factor.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's a new way to get meat! Run into a rabbit!

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    I'd like to say it was endurance hunting, but it wasn't ... it was "sheer f***ing surprise" hunting. If it ever happens again, I'll wring its neck and enjoy the fruit of the kill.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Usually one sprints for 30 seconds, moves slowly to recover for 90 seconds, and repeats for a total of 90 seconds.

I'm not sore after sprinting, probably because I do them in the water. But they kick my butt. I feel energized right after them, but need extra rest for the rest of the day at least.

Yes, I think sprints are supposed to make your body believe that you just barely escaped a lion or something so it better get stronger.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    If you feel like you are going to pass out then you are doing it right. A good HIIT is 30 seconds sprint 30 seconds rest until you feel like you are going to die. Then you did it right.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    ...I used the fear response so my mind was extremely aware of every millisecond. Are we supposed to activate the sympathetic nervous system while sprinting? But it took three days for the soreness to go away! I won't lie, I never expected a sprint to make me sore. Apparently what I was doing before was just a really fast run. This felt like nothing else. I had fire inside me and it would have kept burning but I felt my heart pounding in my chest and I knew my lungs could never deliver enough oxygen to maintain that kind of speed. It only lasted about two blocks. That's probably around 250 feet. After that I knew I was going to pass out if I didn't stand still to breathe for awhile. Is this normal? Can a heart explode?
    Sounds like you were able to find your fight-or-flight anaerobic metabolism. Congrats.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There is a reason you are only supposed to sprint once or twice a week- it takes that long to recover. I sprinted two days ago now and am finally loosening up from it. You should feel like that just about every time you sprint. Just make sure you rest and recover properly, or you can overdo it very easily.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It does sound like you did them right.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.