Thread: Vegetable rennet in cheeses? page

petriquor is offline Senior Member

Vegetable rennet in cheeses?

Primal Fuel
    First of all I know dairy isn't strictly primal but I've done well with it.

My question is whether cheese made with vegetable rennet is any better or worse than traditional rennet. From what I gather, it's only used to make cheese vegetarian or kosher. But I can't really find much further information on it.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Animal rennet comes from calf stomach - or so I've heard. I believe the veggie rennet is there to make it less cruel.
    I can't personally call anything that comes from an animal "Vegetarian" I think it's a crock of crap lol

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    You can set off cheese with lemon juice. Indian paneer (or "cheese") is simply milk curdled with lemon juice. It's a religious thing, for Sikh and Hindu alike. I'm not very clued up on Kosher, but understand dairy and meat should not mix - I guess the same for Islam? Paneer is really nice - a firm cheese which can take on flavours really well. Think tofu, but actually nice

If you're not religious, it's not an issue.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable rennet results in insipid cheese, and requires much more rennet to produce a curd. Vegetable rennet is inferior to calf rennet in every way, except for the feel goods for the PETA crowd.

I've also had problems with cheese aging properly when using vegetable rennet. That could be due to me though.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Vegetable rennet results in insipid cheese, and requires much more rennet to produce a curd. Vegetable rennet is inferior to calf rennet in every way, except for the feel goods for the PETA crowd.

I've also had problems with cheese aging properly when using vegetable rennet. That could be due to me though.
    Well that's good to know, but I was more wondering what the nutritional difference of rennets might be with regards to the store-bought kind, if any. I'd guess it's pretty much irrelevant but I was curious because I bought some with veg. rennet already.