I was going to post this mini-rant in a recent skin thread, but decided I should stop forcing other people to read about my issues! So I'm taking this opportunity to start my own journal, which will mostly consist of me getting out some angst, and talking about delicious food.

All are welcome to comment!!

Ugh, my skin has been really terrible since going primal. It could be a coincidence, but the changes in eating are the only thing coinciding with the skin changes, so it's been hard to ignore that. Previously, my skin was fine, sometimes a bit dry. I almost never washed it, since this seemed to dry it out more, and used an SPF moisturizer every day.

2 weeks ago I finally went to a dermatologist, who diagnosed me with seb derm and eczema on my arms. WTF? The steroid cream worked on my arms, but my face is still flaring up, even with using the prescription antifungal and steroidal creams. I'm starting to also see a possible connection between falre-ups and my cycle, though my BC method has remained unchanged for 6+ years. Anyway, I can't help but wonder if my diet is messing up my skin, though I don't see why this would be the case. If anything, I've heard people's skin improving once they started eating cleanly. At first I was thinking it was just a cleansing phase, but it's been over 3 months now and is seriously starting to upset me. On the other hand, I had gone primal once over a year ago, without weird skin side effects. So maybe it really is just a freaky coincidence.

OK well enough about that (for now) ....

Some good news from last week: I went in to get my nails done, and my nail technician said I lost weight. She hadn't seen me in a little over 3 weeks, so that was very good to hear! Over Thanksgiving, my uncle said the same thing (hadn't seen him in about a month) but then promptly followed up by saying I don't need to lose any more weight because I don't want to be too skinny. I said that's true, but I still have some belly fat to lose. To which he said that the only way to do that is by doing ab exercises. I'm like "no, actually the only way is through proper eating" but he kept going on and on about exercises, so I finally agreed to end that pointless conversation.

Speaking of exercises, I have been so lax about working out. Feels like I haven't even picked up a dumbbell in almost two weeks! On the plus side, I think I'm maintaining my muscle mass pretty well, though it will be interesting to see my strength level once I get back to lifting. Maybe I'll hit the gym tonight.

Thanksgiving this year was potluck style, which I thought was a fantastic idea. I contributed deviled eggs, kale w/ bacon and zucchini noodles. Everything was a hit! People were especially loving the bacon kale, and a couple even asked for the recipe

So it's been about 3.5 months since I became a born-again primal person. During this time, I feel like I was about 85-90% primal, on average. I've had pizza, fries, burgers, ice cream on a few occasions, but honestly do not feel guilty about it. In each case, it was a conscious choice, not one borne out of desperation, depression or weakness. The reason I went back to being primal was because I had felt I lost control over aspects of my life, and decided it was time to do something about it. I knew I had to get back to being primal, since I felt so amazing when I did it before for 8 months. Of course I wish I had never gone back to eating SAD in the first place, but in some ways I feel like that sad period in my life has helped me gain resolve to do this primal thing forever. Plus, gaining 15 lbs in 6 months was a wake-up call all on its own.

I haven't weighed myself in a while, but have definitely experienced changes in my body composition. I'd say I probably lost 1.5 inches in the waist, and 1 inch off the hips. My size 4 pants are fitting comfortably again, and some are getting to be a bit lose. The increase in muscle mass and strength is probably my favorite thing about this -- I look toned and just FEEL FIT, which is truly an amazing feeling! I am, however, troubled by the issues with my skin (could you tell?), worried that it might be an internal problem with the liver and protein digestion. Planning on speaking with the derm next Tuesday, this time I will bring up diet and liver.

Ok enough blabbing for now, time record my meals for the day.

B: 2 medium-boiled eggs; 2 cups earl grey tea

L: chicken stir fry w/ zucchini, pepper, broccoli, mushroom

D: more stir fry (I made a LOT last night!)