Thread: Pine nuts? page

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member

Pine nuts?

Shop Now
    I've been reading a lot of new recipes on Primal recipes for the Grok inside you. and they look delicious! I have noticed, however, that quite a few of the recipes call for pine nuts. One in particular wanted to use pine nuts to help bind some meat together (their salmon roll recipe, or whatever the salmon with bacon wrap was). I am mildly allergic to pine nuts... just about the only food I am allergic to, and was curious if anyone knows a good and relatively easy to find substitute?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    You'd want an equally oily nut/seed to replace the pine nuts.
    ground cashews or macadamia nuts would probably work. "Raw" cashews from the bin - not roasted.

Thespianpythia is offline Junior Member
    Like most nuts, pine nuts won't precisely bind things together on their own (I had a look at the recipe, and it seems to use the combination of egg white, mayo and ground pine nuts to bind things). But in terms of substituting with something of equal flavour and texture, whilst getting the right amount of moisture, another oily nut would probably work just fine, once ground finely. Personally, I'd go with macadamias or cashews for the salmon-bacon-wrap recipe, but pistachios, walnuts or pecans might be interesting. And of course, there's the old standby, almond flour! You can always up the coconut oil/olive oil a bit if things aren't sticking together.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys!