Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart. The cheapest cut? page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

I've always been a bit of a freak for the weirdest foods. When I was a kid, if there was something on the menu no-one else would eat, that would be my order.

So after reading on one of the Paleo blogs recently about the unique nutritional value of heart meat, I thought I'd give it a go.

I decided to go for lamb's heart as here in the UK anyway, lamb is pretty much as good as you get. Naturally grass fed, usually organic (or as near as damn it) and widely available. Lamb offal also tends to be milder in taste.

Neither of our two local butchers keep it in so I had to order some specially. I didn't bother asking the price because I thought it would be cheap.

But how cheap? 1.99 per kilo! (If you're in the US and that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, that makes $1.50 per pound).

I admit to being a bit wary that it might be 'too much to handle' but it turns out heart meat is really, well, meaty. No sloppy, wet and bloody like liver, more like a fine grained steak.

So I whipped out the tubes, cut the hearts into quarters lengthwise, browned with some onions and cooked over a very low heat in a little stock for 2 hours. Absolutely delicious.

I also tried quick-frying a piece simply seasoned and that was great too. Seems like as long as it's still a bit pink in the middle, you can get away with cooking it quickly.

So heart's on the menu for me every 2 weeks or so, rotated with my dose of liver. I can feel good about the vitamin K2 in it, (which turns out is good for your heart! - and your bones), about helping use the whole animal and about the price.

That makes for one satisfying meal in my book

maba is offline Senior Member

I love heart too but it's not easy to find it here in the US, atleast where I live. The whole free-range chicken I buy comes with gizzards and heart, and I like the texture of the heart better than other parts. Lucky you, you have access to lamb offal meats.

Geoff is offline Member

How do kidneys price out by comparison in the UK? Here in Virginia they're even cheaper than heart, but I'm a little squeamish about cooking them. If you're looking for something easy and cheap to cook, tongue is another good option (if it doesn't also make you pine for some good pumpernickle to make a sandwich....)

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering, does tongue also have the high nutrition content of offal meats like liver and heart? Boiled tongue with a bit of horseradish is one of my favorite "weird" foods, so it would be great if it turned out to be super-nutritious as well.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Could you grind it up and make heart burgers?

Geoff is offline Member

Tongue is a muscle, so it's not got the same vitamin and mineral content of, say, liver. Tongue's not unhealthy, mind you, but I don't think you get the same benefits from eating it that you'd get from eating organ meats.

I look at tongue as the "gateway drug" to the offal world. It's a good cut to introduce unsuspecting guests (or children) to variety meats - tasty and not visually challenging (once sliced).

hakman73 Guest

Ground up heart is actually very good. Especially if you combine it with ground up liver, cooked onions, carrotts and some lard also add some seasonings (pepper, oregano)- you can make one hell of a good pate!

Geoff is offline Member

@hackman73 - That sounds a lot like the beginnings of a primal haggis recipe (with the veg standing in for the oats)! YUM!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ooo, what are these unique nutritional benefits of heart?

I do like it, as it is the least "offaly" and most like "normal" meat. I've had beef and lamb hearts (Morrisons are surprisingly good for old fashioned things - got sliced beef heart for under 1, stock bones for 33p, oxtail etc).

I love "lunch tongue" which somehow ends up in jelly, I've no idea what to do with a raw tongue but I wouldn't mind trying!

Liver is a bit strong for me, and the kidneys I tried...well let's just say that the smell indicated I hadn't rinsed them thoroughly enough!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm a big fan of heart and tongue. Kidney and liver less so. I have a butcher that saves these cuts for me, unless the customer wants it. My cost averages $1.50 per pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast