Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I stop drinking (anything) will it kill me??

If I stop drinking (anything) will it kill me??

Shop Now
    So I hold water like a camel which sucks because my hard earned abs disappear behind a wall of water. I do drink alot of liquids. Mostly water but I do drink tea, and an occational glass of juice.

I decided to do an experiment yesterday. On went the sauna suit, sweat pants, sweat shirt and out for a 2 mile run. When I came back I had lost 9 pounds. That is more then a freaking gallon of water. What do you know the abs were back too. I don't add salt to anything I eat and actually eat alot of asparagus because it is a natural diuretic.

If I eat meats, veggies, and the occational dairy product but limit my liquid intake would my body get enough liquid from the food I eat? For the first 3 months of my dogs life he ate the best kibble money could buy and drank like a regular dog. He has since been eating a raw diet (He's now 3 years old) and NEVER drinks. Unless he goes for a run with me and it's hot out he does not drink. It's where I got my idea actually.

So what do you think? If I eat normal and only drink on days where I expend excess water (running, weight lifting etc) will it kill me/harm me?
    "Live Free or Die"

From what I understand, the more water you drink, the less likely you are to retain it.

I would think limiting water would cause you to retain it even more, but I don't honestly know.
    Durp.

Worth an experiment, but everything I read says its excess carbs that make you hold water. If you're just looking to see your abs, maybe a bodybuilder-type pre-contest dehydration is in order.

See now that is what I have always heard but like I said I drink alot of liquids a day. Easily over a gallon a day. Not because I'm even thirsty really. I just like to drink stuff as weird as that sounds. If I am watching TV I don't snack, I sip water or something. I can certainly not drink something without some OCD break down (I haven't had one since yesterday at noon) I just enjoy it.
    "Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Worth an experiment, but everything I read says its excess carbs that make you hold water. If you're just looking to see your abs, maybe a bodybuilder-type pre-contest dehydration is in order.

The problem is I want to see my abs year round like Martin from Leangains. I mean hell I earned them I want to see them lol.
    "Live Free or Die"

I would assume there is some other underlying reason you are retaining water other than because you drink too much. Maybe look at sodium intake or something else. I wouldn't think the ideal solution would be to drink less water. The more you drink the less you should retain.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

Go back to high school biology. Your body can only survive I believe up to a week without water. Not such a smart move.
    Georgette

I am very low sodium. I do low carbs on non training days (under 50), moderate cabs on training days (under 100), and one refeed day a week which is on my last training day off the week (250 grams). The water retention has been just about a life long thing so I know it isn't from the refeeds which I just started doing about 2 months ago or so.
    "Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Go back to high school biology. Your body can only survive I believe up to a week without water. Not such a smart move.
    Well yes the title of the thread was bold to get people to read the thread but essentially I would only not be drinking on non training days or days where I do not expend much fluid. I would still drink some water If I went for a run and sweat alot.
    "Live Free or Die"

Shop Now
    Doesn't make sense that drinking water is the reason for bloatiing/water retention. I'd instead try to raise overall carbs for a week or two and see hwo that goes. Being LC makes me retain water. I assume you've read the Leangains article on water retention, he talks about the "woosh" effect of carbing up, so perhaps being moderate carb rather than up/down works best once you're that lean?

I'd sooner give my suggestion a try than not drinking liquids, it doesn't add up.