Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Milk? page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

Coconut Milk?

Primal Fuel
    I'm constantly reading on here about people drinking coconut milk, and I'd like to try some for myself. But I'm a little confused on how to go about doing that. A week or so ago, I bought a can to go into some chilled soup I was making. When I opened the can, I expected to see... well, something milk-like. But on the inside, what I found had more of an icing consistency than of any kind of liquid. Half of the can was filled with this creamy solid and half was filled with a liquid. Is that the coconut milk? Or did I get the wrong kind of coconut milk? I know there's two types of coconut milk (both different from coconut water) but the soup tasted pretty good, so I'm pretty sure I got the right stuff.

Yeah, I'm just a little confused about this coconut milk stuff.

Stelgar is offline Junior Member
    Thats the right stuff. You have two options now; A) keep the parts seperate and whip up the thick part for a snack B) dump into a container and mix the 2 parts back up and use as milk.
    Thats just the way coconut milk is.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I put mine in a glass jar (like those that dip comes in) and warm it up a bit before using to make that mixing process easier. Coconut milk is supposed to separate like that but a quick shake solves all problems. I love that stuff.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Light coconut milk as well as regular-fat milk with additives and emulsifiers will be a homogeneous liquid at all times. Organic and additive-free regular fat coconut milk will separate, and that's fine and normal (just like natural nut butters separate too.) Transfer it to a glass jar, stir it thoroughly and keep it in the fridge if you want to have an equal consistency. If you're using it for soup, just dump it into the pot as is.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I put a little in my coffee most days, and I eat it in moderation with fruit or in curries. However, if you are new to it, I want to stress to not overdo it. Coconut milk has a laxative effect on many, including me if I eat/drink too much of it at a time. Just a head's up...

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    Shake it up before you open it. I keep mine in the fridge in a glass jar. I put 2 teaspoons in my tea along with stevia. The oil in it floats to the top. You know that is healthy! This week I tried So Delicious® Cultured Coconut Milk Beverage, plain - the flavors are carb loaded. Plain has 6 grams of carbs per serving. I added a little stevia and it was pretty good. I used to eat a lot of yogurt and I used to make my own. This is a nice substitute since I no longer eat dairy products.
    Last edited by pdovers; 06-28-2011 at 09:03 AM.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    shake shake shake the can! Sometimes if it's pretty cool in the house then I have to open the can and stir it, but normally a few good shakes will mix it all up.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Thai Kitchen doesn't shake. I have to use my small blender.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    You're not shaking it hard enough, I've gotten Tai Kitchen to "break" for me most of the time. Occasionally I get a stubborn one, but normally they break after a few minutes. Also, it depends on the room temperature, if your room is well under about 68 then it's going to be a BEAST to shake it.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    You're not shaking it hard enough, I've gotten Tai Kitchen to "break" for me most of the time. Occasionally I get a stubborn one, but normally they break after a few minutes. Also, it depends on the room temperature, if your room is well under about 68 then it's going to be a BEAST to shake it.
    Why spend minutes shaking it when you can put in a glass container and stir it in seconds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast