Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I really don't want to make my own mayo/ketchup/mustard.... page

ELDuran is offline Member

I really don't want to make my own mayo/ketchup/mustard....

So would it be that bad if I just use regular mayo, ketchup and mustard on my primal burgers? I mean I eat this primal burger at least once a week. If my goal was to lose belly fat and get ripped, will this affect it at all? Just curious, because a burger without these 3 things for me really does suck. However, I don't wish to make my own either. Must I give these 3 things up? Thanks in advanced.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Regular mustard is usually fine.

I rarely use ketchup, so I can't say on that, but I seem to remember it's loaded with sugar or HFCS.

Mayo? Yeah, it's the same problem as finding a ready-made salad dressing. It's virtually impossible to find one that isn't made with safflower or canola or soybean oil, none of which are good for you. Even the ones that say "Made with olive oil" tend to have very small amounts of olive oil and mostly soybean oil.

I have yet to try making mayo myself, but I probably will today. Lots of good videos on here and some of the Primal/Paleo blogs about it. Otherwise, I end up just doing without or using something different.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    I use mayo and mustard, with only occasional ketchup. Ketchup gets a bit too sweet when you get away from sugar. It's your way of eating -- your choice. And everyone's body responds differently.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I use organic mayo and ketchup... but then again my goal isn't to "get ripped" either.

Really, I think you'll be ok if you're not drowning your food in the stuff.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    there are a few no sugar added ketchups out there that might be ok. i havent tried them though

here is the ingrediant list for Organicville Organic No Added Sugar Ketchup which gets good reviews on amazon.com

Ingredients
    Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic White Vinegar, Salt, Organic Onion Powder and Organic Spices

Organic Ketchup Organicville Foods

i think i saw some at my local grocery store the other day, might have to try it
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I use conventional condiments, but very rarely. I think that unless you are eating several tablespoons worth once a week usage is probably not a big deal. Also, I second finding ketchup to be very sweet now.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of agave, but there are brands with regular sugar, or none added. Those, I think, would be better.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

I've been using and liking these!

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Regular mustard is usually fine.

I rarely use ketchup, so I can't say on that, but I seem to remember it's loaded with sugar or HFCS.

Mayo? Yeah, it's the same problem as finding a ready-made salad dressing. It's virtually impossible to find one that isn't made with safflower or canola or soybean oil, none of which are good for you. Even the ones that say "Made with olive oil" tend to have very small amounts of olive oil and mostly soybean oil.

I have yet to try making mayo myself, but I probably will today. Lots of good videos on here and some of the Primal/Paleo blogs about it. Otherwise, I end up just doing without or using something different.

In the condiment/salad dressing/marinade etc. aisle in my market (Stater Bros.) I've been trying the Walden Farms brand of salad dressing and barbecue sauce. I like them and they are no sugar, no carbs. Heinz makes a "No Added Sugar" ketchup that I like and use too.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 06-28-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    That is what the 20% is for. So you don't have to get obsessive and start making every condiment.

Unless you're weird like me and ENJOY making condiments... :/

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I'm not a fan of agave, but there are brands with regular sugar, or none added. Those, I think, would be better.
    i have never tried it. supposed to be sweeter then regular sugar i guess
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast