Thread: Freedom: IndigoBanshee's Journal page

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member

Freedom: IndigoBanshee's Journal

Primal Fuel
    20 years ago, at the age of 16, I found a goiter on my neck, and within a week had my thyroid out. The Mayo Clinic confirmed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and thyroid cancer. Within two years I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, and I was certain that it was related to the thyroidectomy, but no doctor would listen to me. I gained almost 35 pounds as they played with my thyroid levels, trying to find the right dosage. Every few years, the dosage would become ineffective, and I would gain 15 pounds before I got new meds in my hand. I was never able to lose weight, no matter what diet I tried.

Almost three years ago I started getting violently ill for hours each morning. After nearly 6 months of hundreds of tests, they determined I had a non-functioning gallbladder. I had it removed, and was much better, but started having gastrointestinal problems. They were nowhere near as bad as before the surgery, but they still have kept me from fully participating in life and enjoying it. The problems were daily and persistent no matter what I did, and quite frustrating. I was afraid to take the doctor proscribed drug for it, which has a lot of side effects and is dangerous, from what I've read about it.

It's taken two years to figure out that more protein means that my stomach behaves better, and I decided on Sunday morning to give this a try. I woke up Monday with a perfectly fine tummy. Not even a rumble. I was totally shocked. In three days, it's been perfectly fine. Evenmoreso, my dad has shown an interest in this, being frustrated with an extra set of pounds from quitting smoking, and you don't know how long it's taken me to convince him olive oil is a fat.

This morning I stepped on the scale, and I have dropped 8 pounds since the weekend. Granted, last week I had a horrible crud which I suspect was strep, but didn't test positive on the rapid test, but the doc gave me steroids and they've made me a whirlwind of jitters, so it might not be all to this, but the fact that my tummy is happy is more than enough proof for me.

I really don't know if I will feel like I'm experiencing carb flu, since I believe what my stomach did on a daily basis probably had the same effects. I used to get raging headaches that I couldn't get rid of, and am always tired and foggy. Right now, I feel normal, except not a headache since last week. So I am hoping that everything will suddenly clear up in a few weeks in a way I haven't experienced in years.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Vilkommen, chica. Here's to you finding a version of Primal that works for you.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I hope you see more successes

I had my gallbladder out in 1982 and am not noticing any difficulties with being on a primal diet at all.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Day 4 and still have a happy tummy. I am starting to feel like a totally different person. I keep expecting a problem to crop up, and it hasn't. Still haven't experienced that carb flu that everyone talks about, but I wonder if my problems were so bad they caused the same effects. I haven't noticed a huge amount of clarity, but I did catch myself bouncing at dinner, unable to contain extra energy.

I've lost 8 pounds so far this week, though I think some of that was from the effects of the steroids from the crud last week. I don't really have any overreaching desire to lose weight fast, but I do have a half-size smaller bridesmaid's dress to wear at my brother's wedding in September. Wouldn't mind having to have it altered when it comes in.

Been tracking everything on Sparkpeople, mostly so I learn how much carbs are in everything. Everything was on target but the calories were slightly high (2300), but carbs stayed in the sweet spot at 81, so I'm not going to worry about it. I will not do the VLC thing, and I don't see that it's more effective. Plus, I've done Atkins before, and it was not much fun to me. I'm staying completely away from grains, but not carbs, and I am losing weight with no problem, so I don't think I have to kill myself to do so.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope Primal continues to go well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Carb flu hit me in full force today. I had a terrible headache all morning and felt backed up. As I'm a teacher, I'm off right now, so I snoozed off and on all day long. Once my stomach relaxed this afternoon, I felt a lot better. Still a bit tired and groggy, though.

I didn't eat as much today, in fact, I made coconut curry chicken for dinner, which is my favorite meal, and ate about half and just couldn't eat anymore. I can't believe nobody talks about this in the CW world. I was starving all the time and eating all the time on CW, and that just turned itself off this week.

I do make a mean coconut chicken curry, though. After I saute the chicken, I make a stock out of the stuff stuck to the pan and a little extra broth, leaving the chicken in the pan. Throw in whatever veggies (today was celery and carrots that are going soggy) and a couple cups of water, and let it simmer down until the veggies are soft. Then I add the coconut milk and spices. It gives the curry a very rich flavor that other ways of preparing haven't done for me. I don't really measure out anything, just sort of guess.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu can suck so just take care of yourself for a few days. In this instance, the pain is totally worth the gain
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I ended up confirming the gluten intolerance or celiac or whatever it is, by accident. Yesterday I was at a holiday party and being very careful about what I ate. I decided to eat some coleslaw, which I watched the woman make with slaw, oil, vinegar and spices, and thought "I watched her make that, so it should be okay." Somehow I missed the ramen noodles she put in it, and they blended into the coleslaw until after I was done and I saw a few left on the plate. It was a small serving, and I never saw them while I was eating, but several people were talking to me at once and I missed it.

About an hour later my stomach hurt, and it did for a couple of hours. After I got home, I realized I was scratching my legs, and looked down and the rash was back. It was back on my arms, too. And this morning my stomach issues are back.

All this is new to me, and it made me realize I have to be extremely careful, and ask about everything that's in my food, even though I think I'll be okay.