Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will My Shin Splints Ever Go Away? page

Doulos is offline Junior Member

Will My Shin Splints Ever Go Away?

Primal Fuel
    Way back in 2000 I developed shin splints while in Marine Corps boot camp. They got worse once I was stationed in D.C. and began running on pavement all the time while at the same time gaining weight.

It got to the point when I would nearly fall down in the morning upon first awakening (dunno why they flare up while sleeping, but they do) and so I steered clear of running in all it's forms since I got discharged in 2004.

One of the big things I've come to appreciate in the Primal Blueprint Fitness model is the lack of extensive running as a key component to keeping fitness levels high....but then there's Sprint Day.

I've been exploring sprinting and I think I see the effect in my physical progress....unfortunately, I still have my shin splints flare up after sprinting. Pretty much my legs are sore the day of and my shins alone are very sore (splinty) for the entire day after.

I sprint up a sledding hill about half the time and then do six passes down the local football field the other half. The football field is astroturf so it's a bit more springy than regular grass.

Can I ever hope this will go away? Perhaps when my weight is below a certain point? Or is this a "forever" kinda injury that can only be managed and never cured?
    Life is good now that I eat primal, visit my local LA Fitness once a week, and don't stress about life.

mdschlu is offline Junior Member
    This is a very effecitve yet painful myofasical release technique.

Doulos is offline Junior Member
    Are they using some type of tennis ball when doing that?
    Life is good now that I eat primal, visit my local LA Fitness once a week, and don't stress about life.

mdschlu is offline Junior Member
    They are actually using a golf ball.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Look into the pose method of running. Shin splints generally occur because you are striking with your heel and stretching the calf muscle. Changing to a mid-foot or forefoot strike (as is natural when running barefoot) will almost always alleviate shin splints. Also look into running with a shoe that does not have 10" of padding.

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    You might have actually had stress fractures in your shins, that happened to a LOT of people when I was in Army basic training. Did you ever get checked? Definitly look into pose or chi running--I used to get sore shins all the time when I ran (because I was overstriding), now that I land mid-foot and have shortened my stride to land right under me or slightly in front and push back instead of making longer strides, I never get shin splint and I run 5k races at least once per month, plus do sprints about every 10 days or so.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    I use to have shin splints. Run barefoot, or get vibrams (i got vibrams) or some other shoe that allows you to run naturally. I myself never tried pose running, but im sure its good.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like maybe you should not literally run sprints on 'sprint day'.

If you want to maybe taping would help.
    google 'taping shin splint'

davem is offline Senior Member
    I get shin splints that make me want to die when I run in normal shoes. I didn't do any crazy stretching, or posing, or actually learning that chi and chia are two different things...

I got new shoes. I bought Vibram Five Fingers (KSOs). Started running with them, my first run was 1 mile (I am still in terrible shape, but back then it was worse.), generally at that time it took me 14.5 minutes and I'd have shin splints for a day or two. That first mile run was 12.5 minutes, and had ZERO pain. Haven't gone back to running in "normal" shoes since, except for training for Warrior Dash, 1/4 mile in normal trail runners brought me shin splints and foot cramps, so now I have VFF Treks, which is what I ran the Dash in.

I would really look at your shoes and if you're heel striking. Changing those two things saved my legs.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to have shin pain, but it disappeared once I learned how to run properly. I have no idea how to undo damage from running in boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast