Thread: Best Cooking Methods? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Best Cooking Methods?

Shop Now
    Well I recently made the change from trying to poach/boil/steam food in pans with just the right amount of water at a low enough temp to putting all my food in the oven. Wow...I've got to say that my life got a whole lot easier. I don't think I'll ever use a stove again. My whole goal is gentle cooking to preserve nutrients as well as not create cancer-causing toxins. Whether you believe they cause cancer or not, gentle cooking just makes sense and it's the easiest and leads to the juiciest food when done correctly. The pots/pans on stove with water leads to a much trickier and arguably more expensive venture. The oven is so versatile, idiot-proof, gentle, and easy to build that it's perfect! You can build your own brick oven and use wood fires if you really wanted. Let's see you build a proper working range stove (along with pots with fitting lids) out of primitive materials.

I've got a lot to learn with baking obviously.... Let's be honest, I've got a lot to learn about cooking. My best asset is my taste testing abilities. My point is that all signs point to ovens being the one key to your kitchen. Baking, broiling, stew making, and even jerky making is possible with an oven. I'm not going back, and I'm going to eventually learn how to build my own oven (I'm thinking in the ground might be most efficient).

So what is your preferred cooking method, and why?

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I really like baked stuff, but we have a huge family-oven and I often think it's kind of a waste to heat the whole thing for just me.

Most often, I end up doing things in the frying pan/skillet.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    I really like baked stuff, but we have a huge family-oven and I often think it's kind of a waste to heat the whole thing for just me.

Most often, I end up doing things in the frying pan/skillet.
    One smaller option would be a toaster oven....

I haven't fully addressed the energy issue yet though. I don't know what the raw numbers are. Maybe it's not that big of a difference?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Heating the oven to cook an egg is very energy wasteful; the right tool for the job imo. That said, the oven is great for big jobs, roasting, etc. The crockpot is also efficient. And, a solar oven even better.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i put a chuck roast in the crock this morning before i shuffled off to work.

The right tool for the job
    ^^^
    this

and knowing all ways to heat your meat is a cook thing to know
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    A saute pan is your friend. Quick, controlled cooking for optimal flavor and doneness. Also, it is summer grilling season. Anything you can do in an oven, you can do on a grill.