Thread: Too much soccer? page

bergen is offline Junior Member

Too much soccer?

Hey everyone! Love the forum btw, it's helping me a lot on my quest to become primal.

So I have a question for you guys. I'm addicted to playing 5-a-side soccer, I do it 2-4 times a week, and in addition to that I do 7-a-side once a week, so a total of 3-5 times per week. The 7-a-side usually goes for an hour or so, but the 5-a-side is usually around 2 hours.

This is all for fun and I don't really compete (the 7-a-side is amateur league but the rest is just pure hobby).

Now I have decent cardio, decent sprints, no real upper body strength though. This has been my main exercise for years and years, since I was a teenager (I'm 27 now).

I'm starting to do more bodyweight training and I'm getting a sweet new bicycle next week that I plan on using a lot! I guess my question is, will I have to cut back on the soccer to avoid overtraining, if I add a lot of new stuff to my schedule? Or am I maybe overtraining already?

I'd love any thoughts you guys have on this. For me it's hard to see how 5-a-side soccer fits into this all... It's not really chronic cardio, but it's not really any type of organized sprints either... It can get really intense but you can also conserve your energy and play intelligently.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hmm I think this is something that as you incorporate more training you will need to adjust. Once you add some resistance training you may need to cut back on soccer because you'll be sore.

As it stands now, soccer is obviously very fun for you, hell I wish I could play even once a week! I grew up playing soccer and competed in high school but it's been a few years since I have kicked the ball around. Soccer is great exercise, but it won't do much to help you develop strength, especially upper body strength. Start off by cutting out one or two days and devoting those to strength development instead, overtime you'll find a balance.

I do not suggest flat out dropping something you love and that is a great exercise to boot.

Yeah I guess I have to just wait and see when I ramp up my strength training and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the input. I could definitely never ever flat out drop it!

robwa1984 is offline Member
    Its called football in my country lol
    Its a good topic to bring up as many people will try and cover many types of activity's to help there fitness. You play soccer as a recreational sport which is something you enjoy. I would keep it that way and not see it as a type of fitness.

Resistance training will improve your strength and make you less likely to pick up any injury's. I once played this volume of soccer and it does take its toll in the end. Im about to have my 4th knee operation due to overtraining, And have been told to not play soccer again.At 26 its a bitter pill to swallow. My advice would be to resistance train (which is not fun) and sprint once a week. Then when you are feeling well and recovered. To play soccer socially when you desire. But bare in mind recovery is the very important especially with resistance training

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hah, it's called "fótbolti" over here actually
    Just came back from my 5th night in a row playing... Oh man, I don't know how to say "no" when someone calls me. But yeah I think you're right, fortunately I haven't had any long-lasting injuries. But it's an interesting point, not even thinking about it as a part of my "fitness" routine. Thanks!