Thread: Crossfit - Intro Day page

Toefuzz is offline Member

Crossfit - Intro Day

Just had to post after getting back from my free Crossfit intro at Crossfit Michiana in Elkhart, Indiana. Met a wonderful/mean lady named Carole who showed me around, introduced me to some of the exercises, and then ran my initial fitness assessment. I almost laughed when I saw what she wrote on the whiteboard:

500m Row
    40 full squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    10 jumping pull ups

The only time I've done a sit up in the past 10 years was when the tv remote was out of reach and there were no children around to get it for me. To paraphrase John Pinette, "Ups defy gravity and gravity is a law, I obey the law"

The first 100m of the row was fun but got exponentially more difficult the further I went

Squats went surprisingly well given the problems I had doing Mark's wall squats. Guess the extra practice helped.

Situps were different as she had me put my legs in a butterfly position (had never heard of that). I was able to finish almost all of them without having to put my hands under my legs to help get up.

Pushups were far and away the worst part. I don't know where my upper body strength went but it's gone.

Jumping pullups were surprisingly the easiest exercise. I had a decent rhythm going for the flare out at the end (kipping?)

Overall time was just under 15 minutes and I couldn't be more shocked. I honestly didn't expect to finish!

Of course I had a hard time deciding if I was dead, needing to pull over and be sick, or if I had a great time on the way home. Went directly inside and spent 20 minutes or so in front of the toilet. Have never worked out this hard in my life. Hopefully I can tone it down a bit in the future as I plan on doing everything in the am and have to be conscious enough to go to work.

Overall a great experience (keeping in mind this is written before the soreness sets in, lol) and I would recommend it to anyone trying to get in shape. I can't speak for all Crossfit gyms but the people I met today were exceedingly friendly and encouraging.

I report again to be beat up by a tiny lady Wednesday at 8am.

Just had to share before passing out. If I can do it anyone can do it. Important thing is to just show up and try. The trainers will take good care of you.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    OK - good luck to you, I hope you recover smoothly and quickly. I personally do not believe that a workout that has you in front of the toilet for 20 minutes afterward is good for you. I get the "shock to the system" thing, but that is psychological, and not necessarily good for you in the short or long term. In a week or so, once you are recovered (trust me), I'd give it a good think whether you trust this person with your fitness. I just finished a month of crossfit, and made the decision not to join, but my gut feeling is that for the very unfit (no offense intended, that workout is not "hard" if you are even moderately fit), crossfit doesn't make much sense. If you can't do a "real" pushup or run say 1/2 mile, there is truly no need to go to the gym - you can easily work up to some basic standards on your own before joining crossfit. I intend this advice simply as helpful and hope it is not taken as any kind of criticism. Best of luck to you in your recovery (which does not need to be as painful as it WILL be) and your health!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Take a double dose of aspirin or other NSAID in the morning, drink a ton of water tonight and tomorrow, and eat as much steak or ground beef as you can find. Also, sleep!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry, but this isn't the trainers taking good care of you at all.

I do CrossFit, and I've never barfed at the gym or after. I'm concerned that any box would throw someone new into that kind of workout, especially a person who hadn't trained in a long time. Our gym has a fundamentals program that is mandatory for all new people (except in specific cases where the person is an experienced CF'er and passes the test-out). It's not reasonable to throw a new person into a workout like that, and I'm worried about your wellbeing if it had you puking that much afterward and ready to pass out and you're only going to take one recovery day.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I didn't actually throw up and she set the goals after having me do a few of each exercise. If anything it would be my fault for not speaking up, though I didn't feel bad until about 30 minutes after the workout on my way home. She did ask multiple times during the workout how I was feeling. My wife says I have problems with impulse control and tend to jump into things headfirst without considering consequences. I'm sure we will scale things back a bit after I tell her how I ended up feeling. If anything it's on me for not speaking up. If I really thought it was potentially unsafe there is no way I would go back. She actually told me a story of someone who wouldn't admit they were overdoing it and ended up being sick once they left the place. This was an example of something I should not do.

On a kind of related note, some of the people there had mentioned eating some Paleo/Primal acceptable carbs after the workouts. Was thinking of bringing some sort of berry smoothie next time. Good idea if I'm keeping the carbs down to lose weight?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    500m Row
    40 full squats
    30 sit ups
    20 push ups
    10 jumping pull ups
    Yep, this is basically what my trainer had me do (three rounds of it) (I was pretty exhausted by the end).

As for puking...I saw it a lot when I was doing Strongman stuff. Like, scary-a-lot. I think, though, that a lot of that was people eating a full breakfast before working out. I prefer exercising on an empty stomach, and the only time I ever felt like puking was when they made us do frog jumps; the compression to my abdomen just made me sick. Burpees are another one I hate with a burning passion, for the same reason.

I like my CrossFit gym, even if my glutes don't. I've recovered enough to want to go back tomorrow, but I definitely took today off and am better for it. My body needs time to heal and get used to hard workouts again. Good luck to you, and remember, it's your body, your health, your money. Feel free to move on if you feel like they're abusing it!

Three rounds *shudder*

My brother in-law also reminded me that I was complaining about fee it Ike crap 3 or 4 hors before working out. It was weird, almost felt like an old sugar crash (exhaustion, nausea, etc) but I haven't had any crap in nearly a month! Felt better when the workout time rolled around plus I was pretty excited so I went for it.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toefuzz View Post
    Three rounds *shudder*

My brother in-law also reminded me that I was complaining about fee it Ike crap 3 or 4 hors before working out. It was weird, almost felt like an old sugar crash (exhaustion, nausea, etc) but I haven't had any crap in nearly a month! Felt better when the workout time rolled around plus I was pretty excited so I went for it.
    This is why I do it at 7 AM. No chance to feel like crap.

I get headaches post-workout, but they're usually gone by the time I finish my shower. They've decreased since I started going in more frequently. My goal is to hit four days of CF this week. Wish me luck!

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It does get better as you ge fitter. I started back a month ago and the first few workouts had me going home and just wanting to sleep it wore me out so much. No I go home and am fine.