Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yams vs sweet potatos? page

kurite is offline Senior Member

Yams vs sweet potatos?

I know most primal dieters eat sweet potatos but what about yams? I know they are actually not related at all but are they also okay to eat?

onalark is offline Senior Member

wiltondeportes Guest
    Both are really good. I have yet to find a store that sells yams though, and I live in arguably the agricultural center of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Both are really good. I have yet to find a store that sells yams though, and I live in arguably the agricultural center of the world.
    Thats odd. My local whole foods has them and illinois basically only grows corn unfortunately.

Also I have extremely sensitive skin issues with acne, does anyone have experience with acne problems from yams or sweet potatos?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Yes, they are primal. But it is hard to find true yams, so I have been told. The stuff you see in your supermarket are not true yams, but just varieties of Sweet Potato. The name "yam" and "sweet potato" are used here in the states interchangeably, as my local supermarket mark the orange "sweet potato" as "Orange Yams", and elsewhere as "American Sweet Potato". It is confusing.......

My local Asian Market sells Korean Yams, but in reality, they just another variety of sweet potato. I even asked the owner and he basically had no clue that they was a difference between the two. He told me that it was a Korean variety of Sweet Potato.
    Last edited by Zed; 06-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    If you see it in the grocery store, it's a sweet potato. Doesn't matter what the little label on it says.

For the record, you aren't buying cantaloupes either, you're buying muskmelons. You pretty much can't get cantaloupes in the US.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Yams come from Africa and are as large as your leg. A fair amount of processing is required to detoxify them, IIRC.

Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Yams come from Africa and are as large as your leg. A fair amount of processing is required to detoxify them, IIRC.

Gordo
    What do you mean by this exactly? Theres a lot of toxins in them? Are you saying its not okay to eat yams and sweet potatos?

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    What do you mean by this exactly? Theres a lot of toxins in them? Are you saying its not okay to eat yams and sweet potatos?
    He's talking about real yams, not the "yams" in your whole foods which are actually sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are safe to eat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast