Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to make kefir and then shove it down my throat, help me do this. page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

I want to make kefir and then shove it down my throat, help me do this.

Shop Now
    Lots of people here drink kefir.

I would like to try kefir.

I live in a city with absolutely no culture and therefore kefir is impossible to source.

I have decided I shall make my own kefir.

Online tutorials appear to be ass and I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I need besides some kefir starter grains and a strainer.

What do I do?!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's SO easy. A friend gave me some kefir grains and I was surprised how simple it was.

Kefir grains go into milk. Let it set for a few days until all thick n tarty. Strain out grains, put them into fresh milk. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Yeah, it really is that easy.

Then... if you really want to get adventurous, strain the kefir and make some really yummy "cream cheese" out of it... then save the whey and use it for lacto-fermented foods.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    That's it? Damn, why do all the blogs and stuff make it sound so hard with temperature regulation and all that junk? Alright, time to make some kefir!

Thanks!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm confused, I always read you had to get some crazy mushroom thing, and put it in tea? in like a pressurized bottle. It felt too much like making meth and I don't wanna go down that road again.

(sorta related: tried kimchi, it was nasty, made me hate Koreans even more)

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm confused, I always read you had to get some crazy mushroom thing, and put it in tea? in like a pressurized bottle. It felt too much like making meth and I don't wanna go down that road again.

(sorta related: tried kimchi, it was nasty, made me hate Koreans even more)
    I think that's kombucha with the mushroom disc of doom in tea, but I could be getting my fermented foods confused. And kimchi is nasty, always reminds me the time I accidentally swallowed dishwashing detergent - same taste and burn. Never again.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I think that's kombucha with the mushroom disc of doom in tea.
    yup, that's kombucha.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Dude, don't over think it, it is easier than making say a bowl of cereal--ok I know we don't eat that because we are primal but I can't think of a super easy primal thing to make. If you were in the DC area, I'd give you some of mine. I've had mine for about a month and the they have doubled in size two or three times now, I gave a TBSP or so away and have now started eating them to keep the colony in control. It helps if you pull the big ones apart to make them smaller, they tend to grow better. I just use regular pasteurized whole milk, plus a bit of cream. I'd have to say it is pretty addictive. I've been having a cup in the morning with berries and a cup in the evening the same way.

I will say, I see you are in Florida (I'm in Virginia) I do think in a hot climate in the summer the milk ferments faster as the ambient temps increase. It's really a combo of the amount of milk, grains, and the outside temps. If I let mine sit for longer than 24 hours, it's a bit long. With a bit of attention, in a few weeks, you'll climb all the learning curves.

I got mine from Yemoos (google them) but on an Ebay "Buy Now" listing with a great strainer, with shipping about $20 which paid for itself in about a month considering how much cheaper it is (and better) than buying it at the store. Yemoos and a lot of other sellers (like Kefir Lady) will send you a brief PDF file of a tutorial once you buy the grains.

I will say, you definitely need say two quart size glass jars, and perhaps one smaller pint jar for storage.
    Last edited by JeffC; 06-27-2011 at 05:56 PM.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    The big benefit is kefir from coconut milk - you get the probiotic benefit via coconut. What could be more stunningly awesome. I have just gotten into it. Tow kinds of kefir: from powdered starter and from "grains". Both are totally easy: put in glass jar with milk and let sit at warmish room temp for 18-24 hours (depends on your taste and ambient temp).

The grains are more traditional, have a much more diverse biota, and can be reused (and grown and given away) indefinitely. For cocnut milk, it apparently needs to be conditioned to get with the program through a few batches. I haven't tried my grains with coconut milk yet.

Powder has fewer number of species of critters, can be used for a few batches, then apparently turns on you. The powdered has work right out of the packet with coconut milk for me.

I think I got a plastic strainer and grains from "cultures for Life" and have been satisfied w/ products. Google it.

Good luck!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Lots of people here drink kefir.

I would like to try kefir.

I live in a city with absolutely no culture and therefore kefir is impossible to source.

I have decided I shall make my own kefir.

Online tutorials appear to be ass and I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I need besides some kefir starter grains and a strainer.

What do I do?!
    Ok, wise guy........

Seriously, I would tell you to not bother. Kefir is tasty. It's kind of like a strong yogurt taste that is liquidy. I bought it a few times, and I don't bother anymore because it's just not all that special. If you want the nutrition from it, I'd say don't bother because it's not that different from other dairy products and dairy is imperfect in my personal opinion. If you want the taste of dairy, it's good, but heavy cream, yogurt, whole milk, grassfed butter, and cheese are good too. If I get a hankering for some creamy flavor, I'm reaching for heavy cream, sharp cheddar, or bleu cheese.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I really like kefir, but it can be an acquired taste I guess. If you don't like the taste at first you can always use it in cooking or make smoothies.
    It's really easy when you first got the grains, and they will continue to grow as long as you give them milk to feed on.
    Dom's How-To Make Kefir and Recipes tells you all you need to know and then some!
    And here you find a long list of people all over the world who give away kefir grains for free.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast