Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sprinting" on a bicycle page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

"Sprinting" on a bicycle

Shop Now
    Anyone sprint on a bike? What do you think would be the optimal way to do it?
    After my mountain bike ride today I ended up on this one mile paved loop and decided to wing it and did a 30 second all out sprint, with a 2 minute "rest" where I was still pedaling but at a casual rate. I repeated this a few times, but I had already put in a grueling 4 miles of technical trails, at noon, in the Houston heat so I was spent after that.
    -dennis

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    bike sprints are what i plan on doing, just havent done it yet. i will probably try tabata sprints (20 seconds full out, 10 seconds rest for 8 times)

like you ill find a flat spot to do them. gearing and speed i will have to figure out though, a slower speed will probably be safer
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

kaylakala is offline Member
    I had to. I'm still too heavy to run and it hurts my legs too much.
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I have done stationary bike sprints. They really kicked my butt.

Anything that makes your tongue hang out is a sprint. (Well, chocolate and bacon don't count.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

bergen is offline Junior Member
    I'm definitely doing this when my Specialized Langster Steel shows up next week. There are long even bikepaths along the ocean here in Reykjavík which are perfect for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i will probably try tabata sprints (20 seconds full out, 10 seconds rest for 8 times)
    Thanks!
    Any one else have a thought on best sprint time/rest time?
    -dennis

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your goals. Track sprinters often train something like this: roll around for a minute, 15s all out sprint, 30 minutes rest for 10 repetitions (takes half a day).

If you want to get better at sprinting longer rest is better. Tabata intervals aren't real sprints (the intensity is too low), but they still are useful as they combine a lot of useful training aspects into a very short time-frame.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    How could Tabata intervals have too low of an intensity? Isn't the whole purpose to go as hard as you possibly can for those 20 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickF View Post
    It depends on your goals. Track sprinters often train something like this: roll around for a minute, 15s all out sprint, 30 minutes rest for 10 repetitions (takes half a day).

If you want to get better at sprinting longer rest is better. Tabata intervals aren't real sprints (the intensity is too low), but they still are useful as they combine a lot of useful training aspects into a very short time-frame.
    My goal would be to get fit/lean in the most productive and efficient way possible.
    I'm not training for a sport or anything.
    This would be in addition to strength training.
    -dennis

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    How could Tabata intervals have too low of an intensity? Isn't the whole purpose to go as hard as you possibly can for those 20 seconds?
    He's talking about a regimen to actually make you functionally better at sprinting. In the context of a sport - be it track or cycling - a true maximal-effort sprint is usually around 10s. So, from that perspective an effort you can sustain for 20s is going to be lower intensity.

This isn't necessarily important when using sprints as a general-purpose conditioning tool. In that case you aren't actually trying to improve your sprinting ability, you're simply trying to exhaust your body. The 'claim' in the Tabata paper was that 20/10 was better at simultaneously exhausting the aerobic and anaerobic pathways than any other split that they tried (though I don't know that they tried very many). Shorter work intervals stressed the anaerobic more than the aerobic, while longer work intervals stressed the aerobic more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast