Thread: Have been living a Priml-ish life for about 7 days now. So far so goo

Have been living a Priml-ish life for about 7 days now. So far so goo

Shop Now
    Hey all. Great site, great forum. I still have a lot to read through here. I have the last 1.5 chapters left in The Primal Blueprint, and have been floored by the great info there! I read The Paleo Solution prior to this book (which is also good) and have to say that while I highly recommend both books, I think The Primal Blueprint is just so motivating, and makes eating Paleo/Primal a lot less daunting.

I work full time from home, and am a wife and mom (5 kids - only 2 are with us during the summer), and life has been really hectic the past few years. At my highest weight (about 4 months ago) I was at 300 lbs. Not too great for a lady that is only 5 feet 8 inches! I have been at least 80 to 100lbs over weight for the past 9 years, since giving birth to my younger child. I have tried a lot of things - Atkins (went great until I couldn't stand it and put all the weight back on), and calorie restricted diets and lots of exercise. Those have never lasted too long, and I just yoyo. The lightest I have been in the past several years was about 255 lbs 2 years ago (following a bout with pneumonia).

I have only been following this way of eating for maybe 10 days, and tracking my food on Sparkpeople.com since June 20th. I know they say you don't need to track that, but having this information helps me make a connection between what works, and what doesn't. I don't intend to track as much as I am now (food daily, weight weekly), but right now it is helping me stay on track.

I have lost 5 lbs since the 20th! I know a lot of that is because not only am I making better choices in general, but because I only had fast food a couple times during that time period. But more important than the weight loss: I FEEL GREAT!! I have more energy than I have had in years these past 4 days especially, and even got more around the house done this weekend, and I am a lot less moodier and (I hope) more pleasant to be around.

July 1st I am going to be more strict for at least 30 days. Once I am down at least another 5 to 10 lbs, I am going to tackle (once again) quitting smoking. I can only handle dealing with one bad habit at a time. I had quite 2 years, and was good for a year, but unfortunately, my weight went up, and I just didn't have it in me to stay on the wagon. I am hoping this time will be different because I should have a better attitude and more will power.

Anyway, I appreciate the book, this site and this forum, and look forward to reading more of the forum.

Hi Sherry. I lost 80 lbs. on ww'ers two years ago and then gained it back over a series of illnesses. I'm re-losing and somewhat similar to your stats. I've only been here a couple of weeks, but welcome!
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Welcome Sherry
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Welcome, Sherry! One unsolicited word of advice: Whatever you do as you figure this primal stuff out for yourself, do what works for you. I don't think that any of us do this exactly the same way, because God didn't create any of us to be exactly alike. Even identical twins have different personalities.

Wow, five kids! Is there an emoticon for your eyes bugging out, lol? My husband initially said he wanted five kids, but then decided two were enough when our 2nd child was about three months old. Raising kids is tough work. You deserve a medal!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Thanks for the replies - sorry it took so long to get back on here! =)
    Yes - I do usually need a bug eyed emoticon by the end of most days, hahah.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryTX View Post
    I FEEL GREAT!! I have more energy than I have had in years these past 4 days especially, and even got more around the house done this weekend, and I am a lot less moodier and (I hope) more pleasant to be around.
    Welcome, and best of luck to you. The portion of your post quoted above is the key: this lifestyle makes you feel great and gives you more energy than you have had in a long time. Focus on that, follow the PB the best you can, and everything else will follow.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.