Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench vs Dips page

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

Bench vs Dips

Primal Fuel
    I lift without a spotter (I know, bad Abu Reena, bad boy). I'm thinking of dropping benching all together because (a) I can't really increase the weight to the point of my limits without fear of dropping it, and (b) I've got shoulder girdle issues. I'm thinking of just going to dips, progressing to weighted dips (not that far away, I can do a set of 10 BW dips). Anyone else do this? Any reason to bench at all using DBs instead of BBs?

Note that I'm in the middle of a starting strength program, but I'm stalling on the Bench Press per the above. The goal is to get strong and secondarily to gain muscle mass, I'm not a bodybuilder.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Dips are a good exercise. I do them in lieu of flat bench. For overall chest development, add DB presses at a 45 degree incline.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't bench for the same reasons as you state and also because I find it boring to bench. The only BB movements I do currently are deadlifts and squats. Sometimes OH presses.

I do dips, with and without added weight. If you lean in a lot you "target" the chest muscles slightly more. I'm biased though, personally I see little value in the bench press (if you're doing dips, different types of push ups, etc, and can add weight to those movements. I don't think think you miss out if you don't BP)

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I stopped benching about 4 years ago. I feel stronger and my joints are healthier now than they were in my benching days.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. Makes sense. I'll switch to dips, perhaps some DB work, and see how it goes.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm still a fan of doing bench. Despite using weight vests and doing a ton of pushup, I never felt like I was getting as good of a chest workout when I wasn't benching. I bench by me onezy as well, but I do have a rack that will catch the bar if I need to let it down.

robwa1984 is offline Member
    dips every time. they are the upper body squat

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I hate benching, which sucks because it's the only lift I'm not terrible at (about 90% bw, not terrible but not great). I also don't think it's good to bench alone, and for me it hurt my left wrist because I wasn't gripping properly for a while. I'm moving to just 2x week pressing (one volumeday, one for PRs / some push press), and doing weighted or otherwise hard pushups and dips as accessories, at least for the time being.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

esloser is offline Member
    I lift solo as well, but do the bench on a Smith Machine

BR1986FB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ditched the bench myself. Great front delt exercise (sarcasm)! Switched over to weighted vest pushups & weighted vest dips. Doesn't seem to put the strain on my left front delt that benches do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast