Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull-ups for Women: You can do it! page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Pull-ups for Women: You can do it!

Shop Now
    My blog post today is one for the ladies - it's all about women doing pull-ups.

Please leave your comments directly on my blog!

Thanks for watching!
    Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    sorry to butt in but girls that can do pull ups are hot, see Al's video for Exhibit A.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    Thanks! I fear I'm too fat to do a pull up just yet, but you've given me some ideas for starting on increasing my upper body strength.
    When I started trying to do pullups last year I was between 160- 170 pounds on a 5' 4" frame. I just kept trying and trying and then one day I did one, I felt like I was floating on air I was so happy. Now I can do 3 and I am down to 140 pounds. Best thing to do is start today, don't put it off any longer, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get started. Good Luck, you CAN do it!
    My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I've slowly worked my way up to doing 12 + one leg assisted pullups... by the time on my 4th, 5th, and 6th sets I'm lucky If I can get in btwn 8-10 reps. When I'm at the playground with the kids I bang out Aussie pull ups as another option to test my muscles... start slowly, take breaks and eventually you'll get there... I'm almost to the point where I can do an un-assisted pullup...and as I continue to shed fat and build muscle - banging out 25 will be easy...it just takes a while to burn the fat and build the strength!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    sorry to butt in but girls that can do pull ups are hot, see Al's video for Exhibit A.
    You're not butting in - I appreciate your input! And yes, chicks who do pull-ups rule.

Start with the Aussie pull-ups and keep your diet clean. If you stay the course, you will work your way up to the real deal eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    When I started trying to do pullups last year I was between 160- 170 pounds on a 5' 4" frame. I just kept trying and trying and then one day I did one, I felt like I was floating on air I was so happy. Now I can do 3 and I am down to 140 pounds. Best thing to do is start today, don't put it off any longer, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get started. Good Luck, you CAN do it!
    Good advice! Congrats on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    as I continue to shed fat and build muscle - banging out 25 will be easy...it just takes a while to burn the fat and build the strength!
    Exactly. Be patient and enjoy the journey.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I can't even do a PUSH up. /bawl

(halp)
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Start w/modified pushups... ie you're on your knees instead of your feet in a plank position... shoot for doing 2! then work on your pullups - then squats, and come back around and to the modified push ups again! I started this way - and Now my max pushups is about 25! If the modified pushups on your knees isn't do-able do wall pushups... figure out what works for you and make it happen... all you've got to do is do 1! and your on your way!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    Start w/modified pushups... ie you're on your knees instead of your feet in a plank position... shoot for doing 2! then work on your pullups - then squats, and come back around and to the modified push ups again! I started this way - and Now my max pushups is about 25! If the modified pushups on your knees isn't do-able do wall pushups... figure out what works for you and make it happen... all you've got to do is do 1! and your on your way!
    Thanks, will try that. I can do about half to 3/4 of a knee push up. so far, I'm trying to work on my arms/chest/shoulders in other ways to build up more strength but it seems to be the hardest place for me to gain strength!
    Last edited by Nion; 06-27-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    I'm at 155 pounds and I can barely do more than 5 push ups. It's going to be some time before I can do a pull up. I don't know where I can do Aussie pull ups though. I can't think of any place in my house to do them except maybe a table. I don't know if I'd be able to keep my grip though. I don't have a gym membership, so that's a no. I'm not sure if there's any public playgrounds around here, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast