Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the body affected by the "impression" of sugar? page

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I don't really know what I'm saying here but I DO know what I'm trying to say... so please bear with me:

If I decide to put 1/4 of a tsp. of sugar in my morning coffee, does my body read only the calories, or is there something "metaphysical" in the "impression" of sweetness that signals some psychological ju-ju in my metabolism that does much more harm than the 8 calories I've just eaten?

Which leads me to Splenda and other sweeteners that go bump in the night: Theoretically there's minimal calories, in them but what if there's more going on in my body than just the "calories in, calories out" equation?

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

That's a good question that I've been wondering about, too. The only "20%" that I allow myself are the 2 cubes of sugar I put in my morning coffee. I calculated that if this is the only sugar I use, in one year I will have consumed 4 lbs of sugar. That was a little scary, until I learned the average American consumes about 2 to 3 lbs. per week.

Still, I'm wondering about the effect of even a little sugar, outside of the caloric question.

GotPrimal Guest

I dont have the articles/quotes in front of me, but those more knowledgeable than me have stated that the "taste" of anything sweat regardless of the caloric context (i.e. sugar vs splenda etc) CAN but not always elicit an insulin response.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

And I've read that eating splenda and diet drinks etc cause you to crave more carbs/sugars as your brain is getting mixed signals.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

JamieBelle is offline Member

I personally don't believe in this level of mind-body connection. I put stevia in my coffee because I like sweetened coffee. I seriously doubt it causes an insulin response, because there is no sugar in my bloodstream.

This is tantamount to saying that the digestive system kicks into gear when you merely think about eating food. It just doesn't work that way.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

<pavlov?>

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

I too have read about the body reacting to the flavor of sweetness. Both that the body does actually start to release insulin when the taste of sweetness is present, and that if your body feels cheated (it tasted something sweet but didn&#39;t actually get the "payoff"), it will then start to crave sweetness even more in an effort to actually GET the sugar.

It was some time ago when I read these things, so I can&#39;t remember where. So it&#39;s possible it&#39;s a load of BS.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

"feels cheated" isn&#39;t probably the right phrase to use though. haha.

I think the biological mechanism of "feeling cheated" would be an insulin response, but not much glucose in the blood stream, so then your body wants/needs real sugar so it can have something for the insulin to deal with.

so you get hungry, especially for carby things - fruit or whatnot.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

GotPrimal Guest

This isn&#39;t my lane of knowledge, so someone more versed than me, feel free to kick me back into my corner..

doesn&#39;t anything sweet (including other things), release endorphins, which causes the PFC to dump dopamine, which spikes adrenaline, which tells the liver to let some glucose out..thus spiking Blood Sugar?

This depends on MANY different things, but it makes sense, as mentioned above (pavlov).

We want the sweetness for its effects..

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Then I also wonder about chefs and people who are around food all the time. What happens to the mechanics of metabolism when they smell marinated salmon on a hot grill... warm icing dripping into the crevices of a cinnamon bun... butter and brown sugar bubbling in full flagrante delicto... what do these smells tell your brain and what does your brain tell the rest of your body? If you look with lust on a hot fudge sundae, have you already committed something that adulterates your ability to lose weight?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast